3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 1:30 PM by ECBowen

Moving programs to an external hard drive

AABBCCJuile Level 1

Hi all! I have a 2013 iMac. It's starting to get pretty slow. I found an article that said if I bought an external SSD hard drive, I could use THAT as my main hard drive and run all my applications off of it... leaving my files on the "old" 2013 hard drive. And that would help speed up my computer.

So I bought the SSD drive. And I installed my operating system on it.

I wanted to be sure I handled moving Adobe Creative Cloud the correct way. I wanted to uninstall my Adobe programs from my old drive and install them on my external drive. I just talked to Adobe tech supprt and they adamantly told me I could not do this... that the programs will not run on my external hard drive, even though it is running my operating system.

This doesn't make sense to me. Is this right? If so, then I just wasted a lot of time and money on a new SSD hard drive. But I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Has anyone done this successfully? It doesn't seem like a revolutionary idea.

Thanks.

julie

• 1. Re: Moving programs to an external hard drive
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Leave the OS on the internal and use the external ssd for media.

• 2. Re: Moving programs to an external hard drive
            AABBCCJuile Level 1

I'm not sure that will speed things up. I'm so disappointed! Several people with Apple told me this would work. Darn it. I guess I can try that.

• 3. Re: Moving programs to an external hard drive
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

On PC with Windows, yes you can run the OS and programs from the external drive provided the connection to that drive is recognizable as a bootable device by the bios which most bus connections are. All Adobe really cares about is what drive is listed as the system drive and where the user profile is located. As long as the drive letter is C then that alleviates most of those concerns on the PC. OSX is different since it doesn't mount volumes with a letter identity. The Boot options should not be an issue since the EFI should support any storage device bus option available on the Mac. The issue though may be the volume label in OSX and where the User folder is located. As long as they are in the same directory structure for OSX it should work. The key though is making sure the drive volume is mounted with the normal OS system identity for OSX which should eliminate unforeseen issues with Adobe's installer and user directories not working correctly because the programming did not leave these identity scan options open. You will have to try it though since Adobe wont support it based on that response. I will say the better way to do this is do a fresh install of OSX on the current system drive or replace it and then run a fresh install and use externals as media drives. USB3 for example has higher latency than the internal sata ports which would effect OS drives far more than data drives. Thunderbolt would have the same latency as Sata for the most part.

Eric

ADK