23 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2006 3:22 PM by Newsgroup_User

Install PS 5.5 Filters

Level 7
      I know its here, but Google just won't tell me. I tried both the groups and
      the web.

So . . . how do you install the PS 5.5 filters into Fireworks MX 2004? I
      copied the folder from PS 5.5 into Firework's Plug-Ins folder and that
      didn't do a thing.

Thanks,
      Tony

• 1. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
          Level 7
          You can put them anywhere really, so long as you tell FW where to find them.

--
          Jim Babbage - .:CMX:. & .:ACE:.
          Extending Knowledge, Daily
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

Anthony Bollinger wrote:
          > I know its here, but Google just won't tell me. I tried both the groups and
          > the web.
          >
          > So . . . how do you install the PS 5.5 filters into Fireworks MX 2004? I
          > copied the folder from PS 5.5 into Firework's Plug-Ins folder and that
          > didn't do a thing.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Tony
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
            Level 7
            On Tue, 02 May 2006 03:52:27 +0400, Anthony Bollinger
            <tonyb2006@NEVERsendto.org> wrote:

> I know its here, but Google just won't tell me. I tried both the groups
            > and
            > the web.
            >
            > didn't do a thing.
            >

1) Check out FW preferences to see whether plugins are enabled and where
            FW looks for them.

2) Don't have PS 5 right here but I strongly suspect that its plugins may
            require plugin.dll file from Photoshop dir to function. If you have one,
            try placing it into system or system32 under your Windows directory.

--
            Ilya Razmanov
            http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
            • 3. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
              Level 7
              I have my folder for plugins pointed somewhere else, so I didn't want to use
              that for PS 5.5, but even so I did change it to that folder and they do not
              work. I have tried the Plug-Ins folder and the Filters folder, but it made
              no difference.

Any help on the way?

Thanks!
              Tony

"Jim Babbage" <jbabbage@newmediaservices.ca> wrote in message
              news:e37m0s$68c$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > You can put them anywhere really, so long as you tell FW where to find
              > them.
              >
              > --
              > Jim Babbage - .:CMX:. & .:ACE:.
              > Extending Knowledge, Daily
              > http://www.communityMX.com/
              > CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              > http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              > ---
              > .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              > news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
              > news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
              >
              > Anthony Bollinger wrote:
              >> I know its here, but Google just won't tell me. I tried both the groups
              >> and the web.
              >>
              >> So . . . how do you install the PS 5.5 filters into Fireworks MX 2004? I
              >> copied the folder from PS 5.5 into Firework's Plug-Ins folder and that
              >> didn't do a thing.
              >>
              >> Thanks,
              >> Tony

• 4. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
                Level 7
                On Tue, 02 May 2006 19:24:28 +0400, Anthony Bollinger

> I have my folder for plugins pointed somewhere else, so I didn't want to
                > use
                > that for PS 5.5, but even so I did change it to that folder and they do
                > not
                > work. I have tried the Plug-Ins folder and the Filters folder, but it
                > made
                > no difference.
                >
                > Any help on the way?

Like I already said, chack out plugin.dll. In fact, you can make things
                easier for you if you get something like Dependency Walker (I assume you
                are using Windows) and check out what modules the plugins are linked to
                and whether they can resolve it or not.

--
                Ilya Razmanov
                • 5. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
                  Level 7

"Ilya Razmanov" <ilyich@ioc.ac.ru> wrote in message
                  news p.s8xiwlc16e3g07@toadie...
                  > On Tue, 02 May 2006 03:52:27 +0400, Anthony Bollinger
                  > <tonyb2006@NEVERsendto.org> wrote:
                  >
                  >> I know its here, but Google just won't tell me. I tried both the groups
                  >> and
                  >> the web.
                  >>
                  >> So . . . how do you install the PS 5.5 filters into Fireworks MX 2004? I
                  >> copied the folder from PS 5.5 into Firework's Plug-Ins folder and that
                  >> didn't do a thing.
                  >>
                  >
                  > 1) Check out FW preferences to see whether plugins are enabled and where
                  > FW looks for them.

They are enabled, but I was hoping to learn how to put them into the FW
                  Plug-Ins folder. In any case, I can't get them to work at all right now.

> 2) Don't have PS 5 right here but I strongly suspect that its plugins may
                  > require plugin.dll file from Photoshop dir to function. If you have one,
                  > try placing it into system or system32 under your Windows directory.

I would think that the plug-ins would still show up even if they don't work,
                  but maybe I am wrong.

In any case, thanks for the feedback!

Tony

• 6. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
                    Level 7
                    I did check out plugin.dll, but since I don't know what Dependency Walker is
                    I will give that a whirl.

Thanks again, Tony

news p.s8xkrztm6e3g07@toadie...
                    > On Tue, 02 May 2006 19:24:28 +0400, Anthony Bollinger
                    >
                    >> I have my folder for plugins pointed somewhere else, so I didn't want to
                    >> use
                    >> that for PS 5.5, but even so I did change it to that folder and they do
                    >> not
                    >> work. I have tried the Plug-Ins folder and the Filters folder, but it
                    >> made
                    >> no difference.
                    >>
                    >> Any help on the way?
                    >
                    > Like I already said, chack out plugin.dll. In fact, you can make things
                    > easier for you if you get something like Dependency Walker (I assume you
                    > are using Windows) and check out what modules the plugins are linked to
                    > and whether they can resolve it or not.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Ilya Razmanov
                    > http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters

• 7. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
                      Level 7
                      On Tue, 02 May 2006 19:56:08 +0400, Anthony Bollinger

> They are enabled, but I was hoping to learn how to put them into the FW
                      > Plug-Ins folder. In any case, I can't get them to work at all right now.

Frankly, I personally prefer, and also recommend other people to install
                      plugins into separate directory outside any host program. In case of FW, I
                      just put a shortcut to this directory (or shortcuts to any particular sets
                      of directories) into FW plugin folders, that makes FW scans shortcut
                      targets and find plugins there.

> I would think that the plug-ins would still show up even if they don't
                      > work,
                      > but maybe I am wrong.

It depends on the application. In theory, all the information needed to
                      list plugin in app menu (that is, info about plugin name, category,
                      compatible image modes and so on) is included in specific resource section
                      of plugin. In practice, host application may perform more or less deep
                      scan of plugin. The former approach will give most problems with plugins
                      showing up but not working. The latter may increase load time but will
                      ensure the things showing up will really work.

You know, all this story made me think of one more option. I don't have FW
                      MX 2004 right here but I remember that in some older versions of FW
                      plugins from PS were disabled in FW ini file, since PS plugins have become
                      incompatible with non-Adobe hosts. I discovered it long ago when I created
                      simple "Displace" plugin for Linda Rathgeber's site: when the plugin was
                      called "Displace", it was ignored by FW since the name was the same as PS
                      plugin, and FW did not check category. When I changed "name" resource
                      string, FW started to show ut.

I'm not sure if it may be the case; hopefully someone with the same
                      version on FW and PS plugins will show up to say that I'm wrong; but
                      anyway, I'll think in this direction and see if I can give you any help.

--
                      Ilya Razmanov
                      • 8. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
                        Level 7
                        On Tue, 02 May 2006 19:58:27 +0400, Anthony Bollinger

> I did check out plugin.dll,

And? Is it in your system? Where it is? What version it is - same version
                        as PS plugins you are trying to use?

> but since I don't know what Dependency Walker is
                        > I will give that a whirl.

It's a simple tool for analyzing "linking" of executables. If your
                        executable is linked to some other executable (like C or C++ runtime)
                        which exist in your system, it will show you the name of executable,
                        actual location of it on your HD, it's version, build, checksum, and some
                        other stuff. If this executable does not exist, DepWalker will show this
                        fact and highlight the problem. I understand that DepWalker is more of
                        developer tool rather than FW end user tool, but in my personal experience
                        using DepWalker solved some of the problems within less than a minute.

--
                        Ilya Razmanov
                        • 9. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
                          Level 7
                          news p.s8xvrdqd6e3g07@toadie...
                          > On Tue, 02 May 2006 19:58:27 +0400, Anthony Bollinger
                          >
                          >> I did check out plugin.dll,
                          >
                          > And? Is it in your system? Where it is? What version it is - same version
                          > as PS plugins you are trying to use?

The only version of PS I currently have on my comp is 5.5 and I used the
                          plugin.dll from the Adobe PS folder in Program Files. I'm sure it has to be
                          the right one. I do plan to try some more action with it later, like
                          different folders under MM/FW in PF, but can't do that right now.

Thanks,
                          Tony

• 10. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
                            Level 7
                            On Wed, 03 May 2006 00:24:41 +0400, Anthony Bollinger

> "Ilya Razmanov" <ilyich@ioc.ac.ru> wrote in message
                            > news p.s8xvrdqd6e3g07@toadie...
                            >> On Tue, 02 May 2006 19:58:27 +0400, Anthony Bollinger
                            >> <tonyb2006@NEVERsendto.org> wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> I did check out plugin.dll,
                            >>
                            >> And? Is it in your system? Where it is? What version it is - same
                            >> version
                            >> as PS plugins you are trying to use?
                            >
                            > The only version of PS I currently have on my comp is 5.5 and I used the
                            > plugin.dll from the Adobe PS folder in Program Files. I'm sure it has
                            > to be
                            > the right one. I do plan to try some more action with it later, like
                            > different folders under MM/FW in PF, but can't do that right now.

Ok, time for another guess. In my Fireworks MX dir, there is Configuration
                            folder that contain the file called "Disabled plugins.txt". In this file I
                            see all that Photoshop plugins, along with some third party plugins,
                            marked as "false" for "isEnabled". I guess that may be the problem. For a
                            test, make backup of this text file, then erase everything in it and
                            launch FW and see what happens. If it works, you can restore the file than
                            change "false" to "true" for filters that work.

Hopefully, *this* will finally make things work.

--
                            Ilya Razmanov
                            • 11. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
                              Level 7
                              OK! I got all the filters to load . . . but I'm not out of the woods yet.
                              First, I located an old post of yours and used the shortcut folder method,
                              which worked great. Second, I found your list of Photoshop 5.5 filters that
                              "work" but I am finding that all of the filters only work on the default
                              settings. You can't adjust any of the sliders and get the effects to apply.
                              Again, I am using MX 2004.

Ilya or anyone else have experience with these and what gets them to "work"?

Thanks!
                              Tony

• 12. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
                                Level 7
                                Anthony Bollinger wrote:

> OK! I got all the filters to load . . . but I'm not out of the woods yet.
                                > First, I located an old post of yours and used the shortcut folder method,
                                > which worked great. Second, I found your list of Photoshop 5.5 filters that
                                > "work" but I am finding that all of the filters only work on the default
                                > settings. You can't adjust any of the sliders and get the effects to apply.
                                > Again, I am using MX 2004.
                                >
                                > Ilya or anyone else have experience with these and what gets them to "work"?

They do not all work in Fireworks, and never have. That's because they
                                make use of Photoshop features that do not exist in Fireworks.

--
                                Linda Rathgeber ACE ::: PVII
                                http://www.projectseven.com
                                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                                -----------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks
                                -----------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
                                • 13. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
                                  Level 7
                                  On Wed, 03 May 2006 23:30:11 +0400, Anthony Bollinger

> OK! I got all the filters to load . . . but I'm not out of the woods
                                  > yet.
                                  > First, I located an old post of yours and used the shortcut folder
                                  > method,
                                  > which worked great. Second, I found your list of Photoshop 5.5 filters
                                  > that
                                  > "work" but I am finding that all of the filters only work on the default
                                  > settings. You can't adjust any of the sliders and get the effects to
                                  > apply.
                                  > Again, I am using MX 2004.
                                  >
                                  > Ilya or anyone else have experience with these and what gets them to
                                  > "work"?

Anthony, please "be gentle with me". I probably know more about plugins in
                                  general than anyone else here but I don't know everything about some
                                  particular plugins in particular. Besides, my English is mostly based on
                                  reading scientific articles and watching "Beavis and Butthead" on MTV.

So please provide more detail on how you enabled plugins, what are that
                                  plugins, and how do you use them from within FW. What as to the latter,
                                  using them from "Filters" menu can make a big difference as compared to
                                  using them as "Live Effects", especially when you edited "disabled
                                  plugins" list as I suggested.

And yes, not all the Photoshop plugins from "compatible" version will
                                  really work under FW. Most will, but not all.

--
                                  Ilya Razmanov
                                  • 14. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
                                    Level 7
                                    "Linda Rathgeber" <lightly@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
                                    news:e3b71q$ntr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    >
                                    > They do not all work in Fireworks, and never have. That's because they
                                    > make use of Photoshop features that do not exist in Fireworks.

Thanks for the input. I guess my point is that not one of the filters
                                    retain full functionality, apart from Offset (which works fine for me in MX
                                    2004). I guess for all the past talk about installing PS 5.5 filters, I was
                                    surprised that not even one of them worked with anything other than the
                                    default settings.

But now I know!

Thanks again,
                                    Tony

• 15. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
                                      Level 7
                                      news p.s8zxbvhj6e3g07@toadie...
                                      > On Wed, 03 May 2006 23:30:11 +0400, Anthony Bollinger
                                      >
                                      > Anthony, please "be gentle with me".

I hadn't intended to be anything else, so please accept my apologies.

> I probably know more about plugins in general than anyone else here but I
                                      > don't know everything about some particular plugins in particular.
                                      > Besides, my English is mostly based on reading scientific articles and
                                      > watching "Beavis and Butthead" on MTV.
                                      >
                                      > So please provide more detail on how you enabled plugins, what are that
                                      > plugins, and how do you use them from within FW. What as to the latter,
                                      > using them from "Filters" menu can make a big difference as compared to
                                      > using them as "Live Effects", especially when you edited "disabled
                                      > plugins" list as I suggested.
                                      >
                                      > And yes, not all the Photoshop plugins from "compatible" version will
                                      > really work under FW. Most will, but not all.

With the amount of time I have into this, I think I am going to abandon
                                      ship, which means give up. Your statement about "most will work" has me
                                      curious, but I don't have any more time to get them to work at this point.
                                      But, just FYI, all I did was create a shortcut in the FW plugin folder that
                                      pointed to the PS plugin folder and they all showed up on the live effects
                                      menu (and the filters menu). I was trying them all as live effects and none
                                      of them work except for offset. Maybe I should have tried them via the
                                      filter menu.

For me, I don't think it matters now, especially if they can't be used as
                                      live effects. I had just wanted to get the filters into FW. At this point,
                                      I think I will just go with PS 7 directly and sell 5.5 on ebay.

Many thanks for all of your time and assistance!

Tony

• 16. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
                                        Level 7
                                        On Thu, 04 May 2006 17:34:36 +0400, Anthony Bollinger

>
                                        > For me, I don't think it matters now, especially if they can't be used as
                                        > live effects. I had just wanted to get the filters into FW. At this
                                        > point,
                                        > I think I will just go with PS 7 directly and sell 5.5 on ebay.

Well, now it's personal for me ;-) I mean, I guess that in the nearest
                                        days I'm likely to be near the machine with PS 5.5 installed. I'll take
                                        time to evaluate the compatibility issue and write back full report, so
                                        when this question arise next time, I will not have to engange my old
                                        malfunctional brains anymore :-)

--
                                        Ilya Razmanov
                                        • 17. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
                                          Level 7
                                          news p.s804paee6e3g07@toadie...
                                          > On Thu, 04 May 2006 17:34:36 +0400, Anthony Bollinger
                                          >
                                          > Well, now it's personal for me ;-) I mean, I guess that in the nearest
                                          > days I'm likely to be near the machine with PS 5.5 installed. I'll take
                                          > time to evaluate the compatibility issue and write back full report, so
                                          > when this question arise next time, I will not have to engange my old
                                          > malfunctional brains anymore :-)

I would find that very instructive. I will wait to sell it and look forward
                                          to your findings.

Thanks again,
                                          Tony

• 18. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
                                            Level 7
                                            Just one additional question -- are you able to test it on MX 2004, or will
                                            you be testing in a different version of FW?

• 19. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters
                                              Level 7
                                              On Thu, 04 May 2006 18:08:34 +0400, Anthony Bollinger

> Just one additional question -- are you able to test it on MX 2004, or
                                              > will
                                              > you be testing in a different version of FW?

I personally have FW MX, but not "MX 2004". So, to some degree, there may
                                              be some issues related to that. However, I suspect that once we are
                                              talking about compatibility with PS5 plugins, that is, with product
                                              created long before FW MX was created, problems shouldn't be that big.
                                              Anyway, it seems like I'll be near PS 5.5 tomorrow and I'll try to
                                              remember that besides other things to do I have a chance to examine
                                              compatibility issues. So I hope I'll collect enough info during a couple
                                              of days, and you will be able to say whether it works for "FW MX 2004" or
                                              not pretty soon.

--
                                              Ilya Razmanov
                                              • 20. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters - my results
                                                Level 7
                                                On Tue, 02 May 2006 03:52:27 +0400, Anthony Bollinger

> I know its here, but Google just won't tell me. I tried both the groups
                                                > and
                                                > the web.
                                                >
                                                > didn't do a thing.

Ok, I got near that machine with PS 5.5 and here go my results with FW MX
                                                (but not MX 2004):

1) I copied "Effects" and "Filters" from PS 5.5 plugins directory to my
                                                machine (WindowsXP SP2) into separate new directory. I guess there are
                                                more PS plugins in other subdirs but PS plugins folder on that machine is
                                                full of third party filters, so I don't know what are PS ones and what
                                                what are third party, so I decided to copy only these two.

2) I placed a shortcut to that directory into FW MX "Plug-Ins" folder.

3) I also copied plugin.dll from PS directory and placed it into my FW MX
                                                directory. I did not place it in system or other directories set by PATH
                                                variable because I have at least two more applications with different
                                                versions of plugin.dll, and so I don't want conflicts with them - I want
                                                this file to be found only by FW and not anything else.

4) I temporary renamed Photoshop 7 directory on my machine to hide
                                                Photoshop from as many other software as possible.

5) I started FW MX and opened an image.

My results:

I have new categories both under "Filters" menu and in "Effects" live
                                                effects list. Categories are "Artistic", "Brush Strokes", "Distort",
                                                "Pixelate", "Render", "Sketch", "Stilyze", "Texture" and "Video". I
                                                checked out 2-3 filters from each, mostly as "live effects". Everything
                                                works. The only strange thing is that "Extrude" makes me hit "Ok" twice,
                                                and also makes me hit "Ok" once if I turn this effect off then on.

On the other side, I can't find under FW some filters like "Smart Blur"
                                                that were transferred together with the others. Don't know what the
                                                problem is, I'll try to evaluate it when I get more spare time.

Summary and conclusion:

Most of the things, although not all, work successfully. "Doctor, what I'm
                                                doing wrong?" ;-)

--
                                                Ilya Razmanov
                                                • 21. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters - my results
                                                  Level 7
                                                  news p.s820j2lh6e3g07@toadie...
                                                  > On Tue, 02 May 2006 03:52:27 +0400, Anthony Bollinger
                                                  >
                                                  > Everything works.

This is really the statement I want to focus on. I was able to get all of
                                                  the filters to show up on my Live Effects and Filters menus also, and I
                                                  found that they did work . . . but only at their default settings. Changing
                                                  any of the sliders, etc. did nothing. So, did you find that they did work
                                                  completely, or did they only render the effect at their default settings?
                                                  This is the whole question for me right now.

Thanks for all of your work,
                                                  Tony

• 22. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters - my results
                                                    Level 7
                                                    On Mon, 08 May 2006 16:23:28 +0400, Anthony Bollinger

> This is really the statement I want to focus on. I was able to get all
                                                    > of
                                                    > the filters to show up on my Live Effects and Filters menus also, and I
                                                    > found that they did work . . . but only at their default settings.
                                                    > Changing
                                                    > any of the sliders, etc. did nothing. So, did you find that they did
                                                    > work
                                                    > completely, or did they only render the effect at their default settings?
                                                    > This is the whole question for me right now.

Oops! I completely missed that point, sorry. Now when I retest it again
                                                    (good thing I haven't remove the plugins as I was going to), it shows very
                                                    strange behaviour: when applied as "live effects", it first show the
                                                    things as displayed in preview, then immediately turn to default settings.

Still, some of the filters, like "Extrude" I mentioned, give proper
                                                    results, on the other hand.

This is very strange and interesting situation. I'll try to do my best to
                                                    investigate it. It's of some interest to me since, obviously, I pay some
                                                    attention to plugin\host compatibility in general because I'm interested
                                                    in achiving best compatibility for some of plugins in particular - that
                                                    is, for my own plugins. So I'm interested in info regarding possible bugs
                                                    in this area.

--
                                                    Ilya Razmanov
                                                    • 23. Re: Install PS 5.5 Filters - my results
                                                      Level 7
                                                      Yes, this is the behavior I am experiencing also. I would say for nearly
                                                      all of the filters this is the case. Also, I take from what you are saying
                                                      that most of the PS 5.5 filters work when applied as Filter but not as Live
                                                      Effects. Correct?

Many thanks!!!
                                                      Tony

news p.s88wixuj6e3g07@toadie...
                                                      > On Mon, 08 May 2006 16:23:28 +0400, Anthony Bollinger
                                                      >
                                                      >> This is really the statement I want to focus on. I was able to get all
                                                      >> of
                                                      >> the filters to show up on my Live Effects and Filters menus also, and I
                                                      >> found that they did work . . . but only at their default settings.
                                                      >> Changing
                                                      >> any of the sliders, etc. did nothing. So, did you find that they did
                                                      >> work
                                                      >> completely, or did they only render the effect at their default settings?
                                                      >> This is the whole question for me right now.
                                                      >
                                                      > Oops! I completely missed that point, sorry. Now when I retest it again
                                                      > (good thing I haven't remove the plugins as I was going to), it shows very
                                                      > strange behaviour: when applied as "live effects", it first show the
                                                      > things as displayed in preview, then immediately turn to default settings.
                                                      >
                                                      > Still, some of the filters, like "Extrude" I mentioned, give proper
                                                      > results, on the other hand.
                                                      >
                                                      > This is very strange and interesting situation. I'll try to do my best to
                                                      > investigate it. It's of some interest to me since, obviously, I pay some
                                                      > attention to plugin\host compatibility in general because I'm interested
                                                      > in achiving best compatibility for some of plugins in particular - that
                                                      > is, for my own plugins. So I'm interested in info regarding possible bugs
                                                      > in this area.
                                                      >
                                                      > --
                                                      > Ilya Razmanov
                                                      > http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters