3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2016 1:11 AM by Willi Adelberger

Text Box in a Separate Layer? - help

judithp88468646

should you put a text box in a separate layer or does a text box layer itself as in photoshop.  I am working in indesign.

• 1. Re: help
          Migintosh Level 4

Text frames (they are called "frames" in InDesign) can be made on a single layer, or each on it's own layer. It all depends on what you want to accomplish.

judithp88468646 wrote:

…or does a text box layer itself as in photoshop.  I am working in indesign.

Sort of both. If you make 4 items on a page in the same layer, the layers pallet will look like this:

Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 7.14.41 PM.png

…but you can expand the view of the layer by clicking on the triangle next to the layer name and see the individual items on the layer (which I think is what you mean). Here's a screen shot showing one object selected:

Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 7.14.55 PM.png

Notice that the blue dot indicates the selected object. You can set individual items to show/hide or lock/unlock the same way you can set the whole layer. Is that the info you were looking for?

• 2. Re: Text Box in a Separate Layer? - help
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I strongly recommend to use different layers. Contrary to Photohop this will not increase file size.

1. Work with following layers, these are the names and their order I would recommend: Backround, Images, Text, Page numbers, Logo
            2. Keep them always in the same order. You can create a document with these layers. Move a rectangle (or any other small object) with holding the Alt Key from one layer to the next, it will create copies on each layer. Turn on in the Layer Panel Menu “Paste Remember Layers”, select all and add them a Library or CC Library. The next time you create a new document drag this item from the library into the new document and delete it immediately. This step has created all layers in the same order with the same name. You need only to delete preexisting Layer 1.
            3. Never use generic layer names.
            4. Order and names of layers are important because any copied object remembers it, and if the order is different, objects can be shuffled around if you paste it, or it will create a new layer on top of the active layer with the missing name and shuffle around the order of objects.
            5. On the Master anything on the top most layer will be visible on all pages, even if an image is covering it (except you have applied text wrap). Therefore it is good to have the page number on topmost layer on the master (and running headers and logo too).
            6. On the master everything from the bottom layer will be underneath anything from the pages, if you have a background it should be on the most bottom layer.
            7. You can have additional layers, also non printing for personal information or for guides. Use them.
            • 3. Re: Text Box in a Separate Layer? - help
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

InDesign itself has—not visible for the user—technically internal Layers for Page Size, Bleed, Info Area and Margins. In older versions they were named with clear names. If a user had accidentally used this name it could cause a crash. But now they have cryptic names, therefore it is not to expect a conflict here.