5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2016 11:46 AM by bobs28855668

Automatically placing pictures to frame

bobs28855668

Hello, I have around 300 pictures that I want to print into a booklet. I will be printing them off in sections but my trouble is simply getting them to fit in the frame. I want 1 picture per page without borders. It would take me forever to place each picture individually and resize it to fit. Is there a way(or script) to make a template for all the pages and simply insert the picture so that it fits without having to resize it?

• 1. Re: Automatically placing pictures to frame
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you put a frame on the master page, it will appear on all pages based on that master.

For that master graphic frame, select it and choose Object > Fitting > Frame Fitting Options. This sets the defaults for how pictures will fit when you place them.

• 2. Re: Automatically placing pictures to frame
            SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know if this works on a pc, but on a mac you can select the whole list of images and copy, then when you paste into excel you will get a file list. 

You can use this list with data merge to create your whole 300-page document, with fitting options and all with a couple of clicks.

• 3. Re: Automatically placing pictures to frame
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

there are several ways of doing this.
              1. You could use a script.

2. You could prepare a document

3. You could do it while placing

Let's begin with #3.

If you loaded an image into the placegun, do not click.
              Just drag out a rectangle with the mouse. Do not let go until the you reached the right size.
              While you are at it, not let go, you could use the arrow keys to change position.

On to #2, prepare a document:

Add a new document with the number of pages you need from the start, say 300 with "no facing pages".

Go to Master A page and draw out a graphic frame exactly the size of your page.

Select the graphic frame, go to the frame fitting options that control how a placed image will go into the graphic frame.
              From my German InDesign (I hope you can identify your analogue English controls):

1. Frame fitting would be: Fit Proportional

2. Best chose the center dot of the 9 proxy controls (or experiment)

FrameFittingOptions.png

Go back to your page 1, don't do that on Master A page!

Load all 300 images into the placegun.
              It would require only one click per page to get all the 300 images in.

#1 write a script that will place all 300 images.
              Or ask a scripter.

Uwe

• 4. Re: Automatically placing pictures to frame
                Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi Uwe,

Kasyan Servetsky has written a very great script to do this!

Place images

If the images have "repetitive" names, as: Image_001.jpg, Image_002.jpg, … It's very simple and quick to play the game!

Just need an automunbering para style!

Cool! 

• 5. Re: Automatically placing pictures to frame
                  bobs28855668 Level 1

Thank you very much