2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2016 4:05 PM by selondon

How to upload Lr photos to a cloud backup service - general principles?

archontic Level 1

Hello everyone

I have decided that the cloud is the way to go for my digital assets.

I have a quantity of photographs not in iPhoto (I actually have none in iPhoto) but on my hard drive plus Lr catalogue - what do people do when they want to automatically upload their photos to Apple's own iCloud for example (I have a relatively small number of photos approx 5000)? Do I need to upload a Ircat file as well.  Do I need extra Adobe or Apple software to do this and what does anyone recommend? I am a novice user to Lr and cloud services.

Or shall I use another Cloud service and can anyone recommend a good one to access photos from the cloud on my iPhone 6S and/or iPad Air2 as I don't want to use these devices to store my photos locally.

Any recommendations for a cloud service £10/month?

Many thanks

David Perkins

Brighton

• 1. Re: How to upload Lr photos to a cloud backup service - general principles?
          dj_paige Level 9

I use Carbonite as my cloud backup. You tell Carbonite to copy the desired files, it does the rest.

In general, you want your backups to have the exact same folder structure and file names as your originals. This implies that after you import the photos into Lightroom and if desired some initial renaming, that you leave the originals in that exact same folder structure and have the same file names as well.

You should allow the built-in Lightroom backup to run on a periodic basis (every day or every week). You should check the box to have the backup check the integrity of the catalog. You should then have your cloud backups service copy these backup catalogs made by Lightroom.

can anyone recommend a good one to access photos from the cloud on my iPhone 6S and/or iPad Air2

Well, there's the Lightroom Creative Cloud service (called Lightroom Mobile) but this is NOT a backup. It does let you view the edited photo, however.

The problem with other Cloud backup services is that when you access the photo from your iPhone or iPad, you will be only able to see the unedited version of the photo, is that what you want?

• 2. Re: How to upload Lr photos to a cloud backup service - general principles?
            selondon Level 3

Hi David,

As well as keeping all my files on external drives, my choice of Cloud Back Up was Adobe Revel, synced across desktop and mobile apps and was great for viewing and sharing (and once had a LR plugin).

Anyway, Adobe unfortunately decided to close the service last month but my reason for posting is that, in the closure documentation, it was said that Full Resolution Cloud Storage would be coming to Lighroom at some point (Lightroom Web and Mobile have a similar interface to Revel so it wouldn't be a surprise).

As dj paige has previously said, it hasn't been announced yet, but I thought it's worth letting you know to keep an eye out.

To a new LR user like me, it seems the next logical step in the development, especially making the whole workflow smoother across all platforms.