6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2016 11:51 AM by Iggorr25

My first LOGO animation

Iggorr25 Level 1

Hi I made this LOGO animation for a local PC shop. It is my first video of this kind and I was hoping for some feedback from ppl in this forum, tell me what you think about it, do you like it what would you do differently.
      The whole thing is made in AE with Element 3D and a pack called Motion Design 2. The laser beams are a 3rd party plugin called BCC laser and the sparx are AE's built in Particular emitter. Because of this when the laser and the saprx go behind and object I had to use Elements World Position Pass feature to cover them up at the right moment and place. The laser welding smoke is Stock footage keyframed to follow the lasers welding path. The whole thing was given some Color Grading and the song is from the Movie "TRON Legacy" as requested by the guys I made this for If you have any other questions about this please feel free to ask And as I said, I hope to see some comments, taughts about the whole video. THX in advance

GALATA (made with Element 3D and Motion Design 2) - YouTube

• 1. Re: My first LOGO animation
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I hope you want some effective criticism from a professional. My honest first impression is "What the heck is going on here and where am I?"

There are all kinds of thingies that look like stock 3D elements moving around doing all kinds of things and trying to build some kind of funky thing that finally shows up 50 seconds later then sets there kind of moving around and glitching for almost another 30 seconds. I have no idea what all of the moving arms and laser beams have to do with the company or the product. The last thing I would want to suggest for a company that apparently fixes computers is that once they do something that it kind of floats around and has a couple of glitches. I'm referring to the end of your animation. I know that sounds harsh but I don't know anyone that would sit through a logo animation that lasted over a minute unless there was a really compelling story that you want to tell.

When designing and logo and especially when animating a logo you want to find a way to tell a story. What is the story of this company? The only thing I get from the story you have told is that somewhere in the corner of some undefined room a bunch of moving arms take a bunch of time to cut out something that is apparently already made and then disappear and leave the thing they just made a little unstable and glitchy. You really only have about 6 seconds to grab someones attention and hold it.

Research the best animated logo designs and award winning logo designs and try and figure out the story they tell. Work on the story, don't ever expect to amaze someone by just doing techie things, and then tell your story quickly. http://www.howdesign.com/featured/animated-logos/

Sorry to be harsh. If you showed me this as a new logo for my company I'd say thank you but I believe we will cancel our contract.

• 2. Re: My first LOGO animation
            Iggorr25 Level 1

No no THX for the constructive criticism I appreciate it I will make sure to take all that you have said into account for the next thing I make This is my very first animation of this kind, and I made it for a friends PC shop with ideas that they gave me. Well the story of the video.... as imagined is simple, a bunch of robot arms bring out the parts of the logo and the letters of the name of the PC shop and weld them to a wall. The music is from the movie "TRON legacy" hence the Glitch effect at the end, kind of alluding to a digital world inside a PC. I tried to make it a lot shorter but it looked to fast in my opinion. I know I still have a lot to learn and if I get feedback like yours I know I will

• 3. Re: My first LOGO animation
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just a simple question:

Do you have a license to use the music?

I'm not a lawyer, but if it were my business, especially one which involves licensing and copyrights like software does, I would want the media to be royalty free.

• 4. Re: My first LOGO animation
                Iggorr25 Level 1

No unfortunately I do not have the license for the song, but i was thinking about that and the video will only be used on a screen in the window of there shop, so it should not be a problem.... I hope.......

• 5. Re: My first LOGO animation
                  imeilfx Adobe Community Professional

Iggorr25 napisał(-a):

No unfortunately I do not have the license for the song, but i was thinking about that and the video will only be used on a screen in the window of there shop, so it should not be a problem.... I hope.......

Maby no one will come to you and say - give me money for using my music but for moral reasons you should change that music for one that you have license for or buy license for this one. That's someones work and it's not cool to use it - especially for commercial work (for profit) - and imagine how would you feel if someone took your animations and used it for his commercial business for profit and said - but that's cool because I will use it only to earn a little bit more ... not a lot. How would you feel?
                  I think that we - as creators - should support other creators because we wish to recieve the same support and appreciation for our work. You have several places where you can get music: open Domain, Creatve Commons or from stocks like f.eg. audio jungle for 5-10 bucks a piece and everyone would be happy and everything will be legal and legit.

• 6. Re: My first LOGO animation
                    Iggorr25 Level 1

You make a valid point. Well I did buy the Blue-ray for that movie and it came with the soundtrack so I did pay for it and not download it from youtube..... But yes you are right. Some royalty free music will do just as fine on this video. And since the video will be running on a screen in there shop window with no sound it does not make much of a difference. I will also keep this in mind for future projects