5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2016 1:22 PM by hilled

After Effects CC corrupt Illustrator file?

hilled

Hi!

I've been working on after effects with an animation, but after being done with animating and rendering the file into .mov and .mp4, a part of one of the illustration files became corrupt? You can see here below, with the cat.

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 21.52.02.png

It's only the back of the paws of the cat, everything else of my animation still works as before. I've had messages showing that my hard disk was almost full lately, but everything in the animation worked just like before (the .mov file looks perfectly) except for when i made a .mp4 file.

i'm only a beginner with after effects and i have searched the forums everywhere for answers, but nothing explained my problem.

does any of you know what to do?? I need to edit it again to improve my animation, but this is surely not an improvement.

• 1. Re: After Effects CC corrupt Illustrator file?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does it still render an MOV file fine? How are you doing the rendering? Are you using AE's render queue or the Adobe Media Encoder?

• 2. Re: After Effects CC corrupt Illustrator file?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This kind of looks like you are using puppet pin and you've fouled things up there. This happens when you apply puppet pin then you animate the layer or you move the layer or you have not properly set up puppet pin. You talked about rendering an MP4 but you show us a partial comp panel and there's no way to know if this is your rendered movie or if we are looking at the compassion you are trying to render.

A screenshot that doesn't show all of the modified properties of the layer you are having problems with and a workflow description that says nothing more than this isn't working does not give us much to go on. I'm almost sure that it is user error. Please include a screenshot if your timeline with the layer giving you problems revealed. Press the U key twice to show us all of the properties of that layer that are modified or have keyframes. If you don't want to show us all of the comp panel then blur out the parts that are sensitive. Then maybe we can help.

• 3. Re: After Effects CC corrupt Illustrator file?
              hilled Level 1

Oh no, I don't have any problems sharing the whole interface. I just didn't know it was necessary.

Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 10.52.52.png

this is the video i'm trying to render. i used AE's render queue for the .mov, and afterwards i used adobe media encoder to render the .mp4.

But indeed, I used the puppet pin and it could be totally true I fouled things up. I only think it's kinda weird, because it happened after rendering the file into a .mp4 with adobe media encoder.

and for Szalam, it doesn't render the .mov correctly anymore because the file changed after i got a .mp4.

• 4. Re: After Effects CC corrupt Illustrator file?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You moved the layer with the puppet pin applied. You cannot do that.

Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 5.45.34 AM.png

Puppet pin defines a mesh from the alpha chanel of the layer when you place the first pin. When you use puppet pin it is important to turn on the mesh so you can see what parts of the image it is covering. If you had a puppet like this and the expansion was wet too wide the mesh would cover the arms and the body so you could not move the arms independently.

Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 6.33.31 AM.png

Moving the arm gives you this:

Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 6.33.52 AM.png

Changing the mask expansion to 5 pixels fixes the problem completely:

Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 6.34.09 AM.png

If you scale or move the layer after you have applied a puppet pin the mesh will stay in it's original position and the effect will be broken.

Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 6.36.44 AM.png

Any decent tutorial on the use of puppet pin should have covered these basic rules for the workflow. The solution is to make your puppet move using only the puppet pins or make your puppet move, pre-compose moving all attributes to the new comp and then move the entire layer.

For further instruction on the use of the puppet pin type "puppet pin" in the search help field at the top right corner of After Effects and check out the community resources.

• 5. Re: After Effects CC corrupt Illustrator file?
                  hilled Level 1

this was really helpful! thanks! i didn't get proper education from my teacher tho, so i didn't really know about this, i just did something. you were a great help and you solved my problem! thanks!