7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2016 2:14 PM by SheckyL

Longtime Mac Editor Looking for Advice on PC Build for APP/AE/PS

SheckyL

Hi, I am a longtime Mac editor unhappy with Apple's Pro offerings and looking to buy a Windows PC as my next workstation. I am running an upgraded 2010 Mac Pro but it is very sluggish with the 4K footage I am getting more and more of.

Work Mix:

• 60% Cuts and dissolves editing (with more and more 4k timelines)
      • 15% AE: Motion graphics, effects, roto, 3D tracking/compositing
      • 15% Color correction and other online stuff
      • 8% Compressing high res final files
      • 2% 3D

I've learned a little, but theres still a ton I don't know. Here's some questions

1. Is the Asus X99 mobo the best platform for a med-high end workstation?
      2. i7 Haswell or Xeon?
      3. To EEC or not to EEC?
      4. Are the high end workstation video cards like the FirePro or Quadro M worth the extra money?
      5. nVidia or ATI?
      6. Will dual cards make a big difference?
      7. Rate in order or importance for performance:
        • single-core speed,
        • number of cores,
        • video card speed/cores/multiple-cards
      8. I have a lot of apps running at once. Is 128 GB RAM overkill?
      9. I'm not going to build it myself, and was looking at Puget Systems to do it. Any thoughts on them?
      10. Windows 10 Pro my best choice?

Looking to spend under $5500 before tax/ship

Thanks for looking at this.

• 1. Re: Longtime Mac Editor Looking for Advice on PC Build for APP/AE/PS
          JEShort01 Level 4

First, as you joined the forum today, welcome!

Here goes...

1. yes

2. i7

3. I'd vote no ECC for a system for your goals (this subject seems to get a lot of passionate disagreement, but so long as RAM compatibility is correct, either works fine)

4. no; to run Adobe on PCs (CC 2015), NVidia GTX cards are the best route to go at all price points

5. nVidia

6. Not at your price point

7. Both! Some workflows that use CPU and GPU at the same time often favor clock speed; other workflows like CPU rendering favor total CPU power (think of that as the number of cores [including Hyperthreads] x clock speed with all cores working)

i7-5960x 8-core is probably the best fit for your build specs (overclocked to around 4.2 GHz or so - don't let this scare you, done right it is really safe)

Haswell-E is coming soon and might provide some even better options (still x99) if your purchase is "in the next month or two" (as opposed to sooner)

8. Yes; 64GB sounds like a sweet spot to me considering your needs and price point

9. Puget's hardware is pretty slick and so is their web site. I would however suggest calling Eric Bowen at ADK (he frequents this forum) though do to his EXTENSIVE knowledge of Adobe and hardware. ADK also has a very established audio editing business so they know how to build powerful system AND keeping them quiet. Eric knows everything there is to know about how to "tweak" and support Adobe on PCs, and he has lots of experience with Mac's too that could be beneficial to your situation.

10. It'd be fine.

Good luck!

Regards,

Jim

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Longtime Mac Editor Looking for Advice on PC Build for APP/AE/PS
            SheckyL Level 1

Thanks for the help, Jim. There's a ton to learn here. You're responses are very helpful

• 3. Re: Longtime Mac Editor Looking for Advice on PC Build for APP/AE/PS
              SheckyL Level 1

Hey Jim. Based on your recommendations, I whipped this up with the Puget online tool:

Asus X99 Mobo

i7 5960x

Crucial 4x 16GB

GTX 980 Ti

1TB Samsung Pro SSD

1000W PSU

FW card, Wifi, sound dampening, extra case fan, BR Burner, etc

MS Keyboard

Which came to around $5100.

Something I forgot to mention is that I will be keeping my RAID card and drives

Is that a good build? If I wanted to spend more money, where would you recommend it goes?

Thanks again and I'll definitely hit up Eric when the time comes.

• 4. Re: Longtime Mac Editor Looking for Advice on PC Build for APP/AE/PS
                JEShort01 Level 4

If the 1TB Samsung Pro was planned for your boot drive, it would be better to get a 512GB Samsung Pro 950 for the boot drive.

I'm holding off for other drive suggestions until we know:

What RAID card?

What other drives?

• 5. Re: Longtime Mac Editor Looking for Advice on PC Build for APP/AE/PS
                  SheckyL Level 1

Sorry, it's an areca ARC-1882-ix-24 and 24 3TB Ultrastars in RAID 6

Yes the Samsung was for the boot drive

• 6. Re: Longtime Mac Editor Looking for Advice on PC Build for APP/AE/PS
                    JEShort01 Level 4

OK, this is getting really interesting!

You had all that with a MAC, so...

How are the drives mounted?

What cables/connectors are you using?

And this does change things a bit:

- excellent drives and controller BTW!

- you may want to go with Asus's x99-e WS workstation board - the full EATX sized one, not the "W" one which is ATX - to better utilize the 40 available PCIe lanes. The Deluxe will handle the build that you are planning, but if you ever want to grow more (Blackmagic card, 10GBe card, 2nd video card, etc.) the WS board would likely make that easier

- you do have 4 extra unused channels on your ARC-1882ix card - I am absolutely loving my latest array, a 5x 800GX SSD RAID 5 array on a ARC-1882ix-24 card. You could go with 4x 512GB Samsung 850 Pros using the remaining 4 channels.

- or, you could add a single SSD (or 2x RAID 0 SSD) on the motherboard SATA channels for all the scratch/cache/media cache files

Jim

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Longtime Mac Editor Looking for Advice on PC Build for APP/AE/PS
                      SheckyL Level 1

I have it all set up via SAS. I built it myself years ago b/c I couldn't find 12-drive cases. Anyway, I have no recollection of the parts exactly but it's all mini SAS

I like the idea of more PCIe lanes, so I will likely go with the x99-e

Not a bad idea having a small array for scratch. I chew through storage, so I will likely have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks for all the input. Super helpful