2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2016 4:35 AM by ctylko@cafa.ca

PC to Mac Migration and Optimal Storage Scenario Suggestions Please

ctylko@cafa.ca

So I'm finally migrating to an iMac and I'm looking for "best practice" suggestions as to file storage.

On the PC I stored all of my raw image files on a 2 TB internal drive.

My new iMac (27" Retina, i7, 512 SSD, 16 G ram) obviously has limited disk storage. So what do most of you do? Keep all of you images on an external drive? Or do you keep the most recent and current workload on you internal Mac drive and move out to the external when you need space? What's the best practice?

I'm thinking the easiest migration path would be to Export everything to an external HD formatted to exFAT and import the catalog to the iMac and leave the image files on the external drive.

Any opinions?

(sorry if this question has been asked but all I'm finding are suggestions on basic migration...nothing found on recommended or optimal storage practices...thanks).

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: PC to Mac Migration and Optimal Storage Scenario Suggestions Please
          JoeKostoss Level 4

I also have an iMac; I store all of my Raw (DNG) files on an External HD.  Any Images edited in Photoshop or other software are stored as psd or tif files also on the same EHD.  The LR Catalog is on my internal drive, but with a backup also stored on the EHD.  The only files that end up in the internal drive are my exported jpeg files.  Most of these are deleted after they are uploaded to whatever purposes for which they were made, so the internal drive is never overloaded.  In addition I have a 2nd EHD exactly the same as as the first which is automatically duplicated by SuprtDuper!, a cloning software app by Shirt Pocket for the Mac.  That way, all my Raw photos as well as the edited psd and tif files AND my LR catalog are backed up in case the EHD fails.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PC to Mac Migration and Optimal Storage Scenario Suggestions Please
            ctylko@cafa.ca Level 1

Thank you Joe,

...especially for the SuprDuper suggestion. Last night I discovered the EHD I'm dedicating for images is excluded by Time Machine so that sounds like a great compromise.

CT