8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2016 8:37 PM by paul222mckee

Audio issues with videos in After Effects

paul222mckee

I opened a .avi video in after effects and when I went to preview it the audio was just static and white noise. The video also stuttered and skipped. I don't know how to fix this problem, if anyone could give me some advice, that would be great.

• 1. Re: Audio issues with videos in After Effects
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Without a lot more information, we can't offer much help. What codec is this AVI encoded with? What, exact, version number of After Effects are you using? How are you trying to preview? What OS are you using?

• 2. Re: Audio issues with videos in After Effects
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If AE is up to date and your system meets the minimum system requirements and you are using standard 48 KHz 16 bit PCM WAV (the basic standard for audio for video) and you are using a standard production format for the video you are importing into AE then you should not have problems. If you are using highly compressed, screen capture or odd mpeg compressed video files, mp3 or other highly compressed audio, or you have installed some 3rd party codecs, audio drivers, or other non standard for video things then you could be having a problem. Unfortunately you gave us no clues to go on so nobody can offer anything more than update AE and use standard formats in your production.

• 3. Re: Audio issues with videos in After Effects
              paul222mckee Level 1

I use the paid version of bandicam to record my video and audio.

• 4. Re: Audio issues with videos in After Effects

Your screen recording software is probably recording to a funky format that they made themselves. You will probably have to render your screen capture to a suitable production format to use the footage in AE or Premeire Pro. BTW, if you are editing you'll be way better off in Premiere Pro than in AE. If you want to apply some specific effects to some portions of your game capture then you would use AE for those shots. You would not put 20 minutes of game capture into AE and try and do a bunch of effects in different parts of the movie. That is not how to use AE. Almost all of my AE work is in comps that are under 10 seconds in length.

• 5. Re: Audio issues with videos in After Effects
                  paul222mckee Level 1

what would you recommend for doing in video animations, such as having a an image enter the video and then exit?

• 6. Re: Audio issues with videos in After Effects
                    paul222mckee Level 1

This is the format for the audio. codec: MPEG-1 L2, the latest version of After Effects. Just trying to play the video by pressing spacebar. Windows 10 for the OS

The codec for the video is XVID

• 7. Re: Audio issues with videos in After Effects

You do shots in AE, you edit movies in Premiere Pro. You can move an image into the frame in either. The only time you should use After Effects is to do something that cannot be done in Premiere Pro. Adding a layer and animating that layer's position, scale, rotation, opacity or adding some basic effects to that layer can easily be done in Premiere Pro. Doing a 40 layer composite with motion tracking, roto, keying, time stretching, stabilizing and color correction cannot be done in Premiere Pro so you would use After Effects for that.

The MPEG format is what is giving you problems. You need to study up on formats. I would try opening up your screen capture in Premiere Pro or the Adobe Media encoder and then use one of the Broadcast presets to render a suitable DI. My screen capture program lets me render to several formats. I usually choose ProRez because I'm on a Mac. I do not usually work on Windows machines but when I do the shop I work for has their own specifications for a DI. Most of my AE work for others is rendered to image sequences. Most of my editing is Chinaware 10 bit 444 or MXF. You'll have to do some research and figure out what you want to use. Don't be alarmed by the file size for a DI. Learn how to render a h.264 MP4 for distribution using the Adobe Media Encoder - which is how Premiere Pro renders everything and can be used by After Effects. You should choose h.264 for distribution because it is the most universal format out there and will play on any mobile device or computer.

I hope this helps. Fooling with video requires that you spend some time learning about the standards of you just end up with a mess that nobody can view.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Audio issues with videos in After Effects
                        paul222mckee Level 1

Thanks, I'll try that