4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2016 1:21 PM by waterknot

Art board becomes square when zoomed out

livingos Level 1

When you pinch zoom out in Adobe draw, the artwork becomes square. in Adobe sketch zooming out is ok, maintaining canvas aspect ratio. Seems to be a weird bug in Draw.

• 1. Re: Art board becomes square when zoomed out
          Sue Garibaldi Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Livingos,

Sorry for taking so long to respond.

That's because the  canvas in Draw IS actually square while the canvas in Sketch has a 4x3 ratio. It's that way because Draw is vector and essentially has an "infinite" canvas since the individual strokes can scale.

Does that help?

Sue.

• 2. Re: Art board becomes square when zoomed out
            Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

Sue, your explanation helps me. I understand that Draw is vector which is essentially 'infinite' in size, but I still would like to create my artboard at a specific dimension.

• 3. Re: Art board becomes square when zoomed out
              Sue Garibaldi Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Theresa,

That's not possible yet in Draw. But I do know that the product team is starting to think about how that feature might function in the app, so my guess is that the feature will make it to a future update.

I know that doesn't help you right now but... hopefully it helps to know.

Sue.

• 4. Re: Art board becomes square when zoomed out
                waterknot Level 1

Specific artboard sizes would be INCREDIBLY HELPFUL. So would point sizes for brushes as opposed to percentages.

I also totally understand that the whole point of vector art is its scalability. But I regularly make illustrations that are letterpress printed. The plates on the letterpress can not hold a line finer than .35 pt. When I work in Illustrator this is easy to control and keep track of. But when I work in draw it's really tough to figure out if what I am drawing will actually, ultimately be printable.

I tried creating an artboard in illustrator that is the correct dimensions of my final art piece. I even included sample strokes at different widths to visually compare to my brush strokes. I then imported this as an image into Draw. I then drew some brushstrokes and compared the size. They looked OK but when I sent the draw file back to illustrator the entire artboard had been scaled up and thus my sizes are all relative and not absolute.

Any suggestions?

1 person found this helpful