6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2016 5:00 PM by jackfrombc

Lightroom lost all image

shannons92594902

I am a veteran lightroom user.  I am currently only operating with Lightroom 3 on a Window 10 computer.  I was working away when all of the wedding i was working on went missing/offline.  I could not recover the images inside lightroom so I went to check the RAW files that I downloaded to my computer and in the file there was nothing.  WHAT HAPPENED??????  I am trying not to freak out.  I still have the images on the memory card, but I am panicking that this will continue to happen.  Any advice?

• 1. Re: Lightroom lost all image
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are the images for the wedding on an external hard drive?

Are you able to locate the images using File Explorer?

Have you opened a new catalog?

• 2. Re: Lightroom lost all image
            shannons92594902 Level 1

I still have the memory card thank God, but it's nowhere when searched on the hard drive At all. Completely gone. I really don't want this to happen again in the future!!!

• 3. Re: Lightroom lost all image
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I really don't know what to tell you. Have you checked the recycle bin to see if the folder and got sent there? When you import, do you create a backup copy of all of your important images? How many hard drives are you using? Do you still see the preview files in Lightroom? I know you are in panic mode. But the more information you can provide the better.

• 4. Re: Lightroom lost all image
                shannons92594902 Level 1

Here is what we have it down to.  I had my computer guy log into my computer and he couldn't find them anywhere and had to use a recovery program to pull up most of the lost images.  They were not in recycle bin or anything.  The previews were still in lightroom but the black bar across the pic said image cannot be found or is offline.  Happened all of a sudden WHILE I was editing an image.  THen I checked the folder they were in and all the ORIGINAL NEF files were gone and not to be found anywhere. SO bizarre.  Computer guy suspects the program had corrupted or something happened to internally delete the files. Can't figure it out. Makes me nervous to continue!  Lost all of my editing work on a WEDDING!

• 5. Re: Lightroom lost all image
                  dj_paige Level 9

While I have no idea what did happen, it is highly unlikely that Lightroom did this, because no one has ever reported anything similar, and there are no functions in Lightroom that simply mass delete the original photos on the hard disk, but still have the previews showing in Lightroom.

More likely, in my opinion, this is a hard disk malfunction. I would check the health of this drive.

In any event, you should restore these photos from your backups or from the camera cards.

• 6. Re: Lightroom lost all image
                    jackfrombc Level 1

Perhaps they were inadvertently imported to a folder where you haven't searched. Can you edit the files? Does the "image missing" icon appear for the missing files? What happens when you right-click an image and choose "show in Explorer"?