7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2016 6:14 AM by rob day

PDFs Placed in InD

KenWK Level 1

We have some PDFs from a client that we are to place in InD as art. Placing the figures works fine but we noticed that when creating a PDF of the InDesign file the text on the pages that have PDFs placed on them looks different, a little heavier. The first screen shot shows the text WITHOUT the PDF placed, the 2nd is with the PDF placed.

EPS files form these same PDFs do NOT produce this heavier result. The most disconcerting thing is that the main text on the page is somehow being affected by the presence of the PDF. Printing the PDF from InD to paper the difference isn't as stark as it is on screen, but we did see a color difference between the same art placed as PDF and as EPS.

Does anyone know what is causing the PDF to affect the rest of the text this way? Is it simply not a good idea to place PDFs?

Thanks for any help you can all offer.

Best,

Ken

PDFProbNoPDF.JPG PDFProbWithPDF.JPG

• 1. Re: PDFs Placed in InD
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is a known effect of adding transparency to a page. It will show on screen and in low-resolution printed output, but generally not on press.

• 2. Re: PDFs Placed in InD
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

There are several reasons possible:

1. Fonts have been converted in InDesign. Don't do that.
            2. Transparency in some kind and form
            3. Stroke applied to the font in the original file

I would recommend to inform your clients on specifications, how the PDF should be exported. My recommendation for best PDF import are:

1. PDF/X-4
            2. Bleed (I ask for 4mm on each side)
            3. No font is allowed to be outlined.
            4. Don't use EPS or PDF/X-1a or PDF/X-3 or any PDF with flattened transparency
            5. Use for images RGB.

If the PDFs you get are created according to these point you will receive PDFs for the best quality.

• 3. Re: PDFs Placed in InD
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also, the transparency "bolding" preview effect is apparently an OS problem—I've never seen it on OSX. What's your OS? If you export the pages back to PDF do you see the problem in AcrobatPro or Reader?

• 4. Re: PDFs Placed in InD

Interesting comment about OS specific. I've never seen anyone mention that before. I'm a Windows user, and I do see the effect on screen, and sometimes in laser prints, with PDFs, and we've historically seen many complaints about that. Given the number of Mac users, I find it hard to believe that all the complaints are from the PC side, and i think you are just lucky.

• 5. Re: PDFs Placed in InD

I think I've seen it come up, unfortunately I haven't saved any threads. But this is what I get on Yosemite–changing layer order or blend space doesn't make a difference.

Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 9.06.32 AM.png

• 6. Re: PDFs Placed in InD

In my experience the only thing putting text above transparency accomplishes is preventing rasterization during flattening (which is definitely important), but never preventing the "emboldening" effect.

• 7. Re: PDFs Placed in InD

And here's the left text column saved out as PDF/X-4 and placed back:

Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 9.13.25 AM.png