iMac

27-inch, Late 2012

3.2 GHz intel Core i5

32GB Ram 1333 MHz DDR3

Hard Drive 7200RPM

Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB

I have a 64bit OS

OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

When I try to use Ray-traced 3D my computer is practically useless.

Is there any way I can set this up to work as is?

Or,

Do I need a SSD for the Cashe?

If So,

Please give me some suggestions of Good compatible SSD's for my iMac?

• 1. Re: What SSD's work the best with iMac 2013 for After Effects CS6 Cashe
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

An SSD attached with a thunderbolt drive may speed up your work and cache a bit but it will to absolutely nothing for Ray-traced rendering.

Ray-traced rendering can be practically useless to impossible to use. NVIDIA changed the direction of their development of CUDA and Adobe has stopped development on the Ray-traced renderer. If you have installed the Cuda drivers and you can enable GPU acceleration you have crossed into the barely usable / practically useless zone. If you cannot get CUDA to work, then don't bother unless your project cannot be done in any other way. (BTW, it can be done better and faster)

I've never used Ray-traced on a commercial project for a client. I've played around with it a bit to run some tests, but its pretty useless as far as I'm concerned. You can accomplish much more and work much quicker using C4D Lite and Chinaware and staying away from the Ray-traced renderer.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What SSD's work the best with iMac 2013 for After Effects CS6 Cashe
            amajic Level 1

Thanks Rick,

Is C4D Lite compatible with  Ae CS6?

• 3. Re: What SSD's work the best with iMac 2013 for After Effects CS6 Cashe
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unfortunately C4D Lite does not come with CS6. The options for CS6 include Boris FX, Zaxworks, Element 3D and a few others. If you are making a living with AE then any of those plug-ins will save you more than their cost in a couple of projects. I'd try the demo versions to see which you like best and which ones do the job with the least amount of fussing around.

1 person found this helpful