2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2016 2:29 PM by robgendreau

Moving from Aperture to Lightroom

chrism61136220 Level 1

If I purchase Lightroom and upload my photos from Aperture will Lightroom retain the organization of my photos, the albums

and so forth?

Chris

• 2. Re: Moving from Aperture to Lightroom
          robgendreau Level 3

chrism61136220 wrote:

If I purchase Lightroom and upload my photos from Aperture will Lightroom retain the organization of my photos, the albums

and so forth?

Chris

The Lightroom Queen's site listed above explains this, but it bears emphasizing that while one can essentially duplicate the organization of images in both applications they do it in very different ways.

If you have a managed Aperture library the Lr importer would essentially copy out all the original images and place them in a date based Finder folder structure and then import those as referenced images into Lr. A Finder folder is the same as an Lr folder. Then you use Lr's collection sets and collection sort of like how you used folders, albums and projects in Aperture (in Aperture, a folder is NOT a Finder folder).

Take a look at Aperture Exporter and it's documentation. It has some advantages over Lr's importer for setting up the transition, especially if you have many adjusted images in Aperture. Aperture's adjustments are proprietary, and can't be read by Lr (so it won't know to crop and turn that image into BW for example).