8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2016 6:54 AM by BruceTR

Best method for exporting?  Which formats?  Why?

BruceTR Level 1

Premiere Elements 14.

I’m preparing to Export my final movie. It consists of four types of resources:

.mp4

1280 x 720

Data rate  3708 kbps

Total bitrate  3837 kbps

Frame rate  29 fps

.mov

1280 x 720

Data rate  44969 kbps

Total bitrate  46522 kbps

Frame rate  59 fps

.jpg

2592 x 1728

72 dpi

.jpg

3456 x 2304

72 dpi

First, the initial segments of the movie MUST be exported in either MPEG-4 H.264 or WMV.  Then, the initial segments will be combined with other resources and this (the final movie) MUST be exported in either MP4 H.264 or WMV at 1920 x 1080.

What’s the best approach for me to take in order to (1) export the initial segments, and (2) export the final movie?

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Best method for exporting?  Which formats?  Why?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What do you mean when you say " initial segments of the movie MUST be exported in either MPEG-4 H.264 or WMV" etc.?

Why must segments be exported in those formats? How do you plan to use these outputs?

All of these output options are available under Export & Share/Devices/Computer, 1920x1080.

• 2. Re: Best method for exporting?  Which formats?  Why?
            BruceTR Level 1

Well... it's a long story.  But, suffice it to say that the person who is helping me create the movie chooses to use only Windows Movie Maker.  Windows Movie Maker offers only two export formats... MPEG-4 H.264 and WMV.  She will create and export her "segments."  Then, to create and export the final movie, I will combine her segments and my segments (I'm using Premiere Elements 14 to create my segments) in Premiere Elements 14.  The TV we plan to use to show the movie will play MP4 H.264 at 1920 x 1080 or WMV at 1920 x 1080.  So, it sounds crazy, but we're stuck with the scenario I described.  It's certainly not optimal, but we want to do the best we can with the circumstances that exist.  What do you suggest?  I appreciate your insights.

• 3. Re: Best method for exporting?  Which formats?  Why?

I would leave WMVs out of the whole workflow. It's completely unnecessary -- and it doesn't make for a good source format for Premiere Elements projects.

Stick with MP4s and you'll save yourself extra work without extra benefit.

• 4. Re: Best method for exporting?  Which formats?  Why?
                BruceTR Level 1

To clarify, for the segments being edited and exported using Windows Movie Maker, are you saying I should export them using MPEG-4 H.264?  Windows Movie Maker offers only two export formats... MPEG-4 H.264 and WMV.

I ask because... I thought (but may be wrong)... that MPEGs are interlaced.  All of my video assets are progressive (natively).  I read somewhere that I should stick with progressive throughout the entire project, especially since the movie will be played on a HD TV.

This can get complicated, so I appreciate your insights.  Thanks.

• 5. Re: Best method for exporting?  Which formats?  Why?

MP4s are usually not interlaced.

Can you confirm that the MP4s coming out of MovieMaker are interlaced?

I recommend not making this more complicated than it needs to be.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Best method for exporting?  Which formats?  Why?
                    BruceTR Level 1

Maybe I'm confused. I keep seeing different terminology. Is MPEG-4 H.264 the same as MP4 - H.264?

My objective is to use progressive throughout the entire project.

The native videos added into Movie Maker are:

.mp4 files (which are progressive)

.mov files (which use H.264 and are progressive)

So, net-net, I'm using 100% progressive inputs.

If I export using Movie Maker's MPEG-4 H.264 option, then the output is a .mp4 file.

If I export using Movie Maker's WMV option, then the output is a .wmv file.

So, net-net, I'm not 100% sure whether these outputs are interlaced or progressive.

I'm happy to use Movie Maker's MPEG-4 H.264 option... as long as I can be confident that it outputs a progressive movie. What's throwing me off is the use of the terminology "MPEG."

How do I determine if an MPEG-4 H.264 output is progressive?

• 7. Re: Best method for exporting?  Which formats?  Why?

I'm not sure how else to say it, Bruce.

If you use the MovieMaker Live output option for 1920x1080 MP4, you will get 30 fps progressive, not interlaced. And this file will load perfectly into a Premiere Elements project.

• 8. Re: Best method for exporting?  Which formats?  Why?
                        BruceTR Level 1

OK. Got it. That gets me going to the next step. Thanks.