3 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2006 5:54 PM by RoboWizard

When I close the CHM how do I get the application it was launched from to regain focus?

sharonmw
      I am developing a CHM for an application that runs on Windows. When I launch the Help (CHM) from the application, then close the Help, I want the application that I launched the Help from to regain focus. (I would expect this is what most people would want to happen, and this is what happens with Microsoft generated Help files.) However with my RoboHelp CHMs this does not happen.

Does anyone know how I can fix this behaviour? Is there a setting in RoboHelp that I need to change?

My R&D application developer has spoken with Microsoft and they suggested the problem was with my RoboHelp CHM, they suggested trying the following process with one of their CHMs and then with one that I created using RoboHelp, and they are correct in that my RoboHelp CHM is behaving differently. Here's the procedure if you'd like to try it:

- Open a Windows Explorer window.
      - Navigate to the c:\WINDOWS\Help folder (or equivalent on your PC).
      - Double-click on the iexplore.chm file. Note that the help file opens up in a viewer window.
      - Dismiss the viewer by clicking on the close button (X).
      - Note that focus is returned to the Windows Explorer window.

Repeat the above experiment, but navigate to where you have a RoboHelp CHM file. I find that when I dismiss the help viewer window, focus is NOT returned to the Windows Explorer window. Do you see the same thing with your RoboHelp CHMs? If not, what have you set to cause the application that it was launched from to regain focus?

I really appreciate any help you can give me in resolving this issue.

Best Regards, Sharon

• 1. Re: When I close the CHM how do I get the application it was launched from to regain focus?
          RoboWizard Level 4
          Hi Sharon

Hmmm, where exactly *IS* the focus in your tests after closing the RoboHelp generated .CHM file? I just tested and saw the same behavior regardless of whether it was a Microsoft .CHM or a RoboHelp HTML created .CHM. Each time, the focus was returned to Windows Explorer.

I do know that the manner in which your developers open a .CHM can vary. For example, your developer can specify that a particular tab have focus, such as the Index or TOC, while simply double-clicking will result in the last opened tab being the active tab.

Wish I had more to offer here, but I'm not seeing the same behavior as you are. I do know there are some extended settings for your window, but I'm doubtful that's the answer here.

Also, I'm not too sure how much stock I'd put in something a Microsoft call center stated. Just the nature of call centers. Some folks that staff them are good and skilled, some are a bit, shall we say, lacking. This is truly "Luck of the draw".

Sincerely... Rick
          • 2. Re: When I close the CHM how do I get the application it was launched from to regain focus?
            sharonmw Level 1
            Hi Rick,
            Thanks for your response, it seems like you are seeing what I'd describe as the correct behaviour for both. With my generated chm files the focus goes to the desktop rather than Windows Explorer. I've just flung together a chm and changed none of the default settings for creating the chm and it still doesn't work as I'd expect (and as it does for you). Can I send you this chm that I've just created, so that you can try out it's behaviour on your PC?

On a separate note, thanks for putting together your Website. I've referred to it a lot in the past and found it extremely useful.

Best Regards, Sharon
            • 3. Re: When I close the CHM how do I get the application it was launched from to regain focus?
              RoboWizard Level 4
              Hi Sharon

I'd be happy to take a look at your .CHM. Send it along to rstone75@kc.rr.com.

My apologies for the delayed reply. I'm in the middle of a two day Captivate class.

Sincerely... Rick