7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2016 4:25 PM by rob day

Can Display Performance affect Export PDF quality??

crisdesgroot

How can the quality of an Exported PDF  be affected by on-screen Display Performance ??

This would sound completely counter-intuitive to anybody using Indesign - i guess.

However, this is exactly what seems to have happened to me just now.

I'm dropping an Illustrator-created-PDF into a frame in Indesign. And then exporting that as a Press Quality PDF.

Done it a thousand times.

But this time - the final , exported PDF from Indesign came out with a lo-res image where my beautiful illustration should have been.

The illustrator PDF is still high quality.

I've gone back in, and sure enough I can correct the problem by altering the 'Display Performance' setting before exporting from Indesign.

I've never had this before - am I missing something?

Is this a new feature ? or have i accidentally flicked an invisible somewhere else ?

help !

CRiS

• 1. Re: Can Display Performance affect Export PDF quality??
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

The display performance does not affect in anyway the PDF export.

When it comes to LowRes PDFs such errors might have be done:

1. Linked file is missing (Link Panel!)
          2. Linked file was edited (Link Panel)
          3. PDF was created via printing and some settings were wrong (Simple Solution: Export as PDF)
          4. PDF export settings were low res.
          5. Image was placed via copy & paste instead via File > Place…
          6. Linked file is damaged
          7. Server connection to the linked file was interrupted.
          • 2. Re: Can Display Performance affect Export PDF quality??
            crisdesgroot Level 1

Thankyou Willi,

And while i would largely agree with you , that those are typically what you'd expect , my experience in this instance differs .

Once i saw the finished print job - i went back in and saw that my exported PDF was lo-res.

I open up Indesign - and it's showing all links are healthy , but with the offending item at Fast (low) Display Perfomance.

I click on 'high quality' display for the offending object, and export again.

The offending element in the PDF now looks great.

I can even go back , turn the display back to Fast, and re-export - getting the lo-res element back.

I do however, now think that the Indesign file itself might be a bit glitchy as i can't repeat this effect when starting a new file.

It's odd. I hope it doesn't happen again. It can lead to expensive mistakes. I will be super observant of all proofs in future!

• 3. Re: Can Display Performance affect Export PDF quality??
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

This could only happen, if you create your PDF via print. It cannot happen when you export your PDF.

• 4. Re: Can Display Performance affect Export PDF quality??
                crisdesgroot Level 1

Willi,

While your assertion is tru 99.9% of the time - this is computer software  -  so the words "cannot happen" are as incredible as they are ridiculous.

I don't think anybody in their right mind would try to make the claim that software is infalliable - and never breaks down, crashes, or gets caught in loops.

It's this kind of attitude : that the machine is always right : that frustrates the hell out of users and expert users alike.

So unless you've got something smart to share - please contain your optimistic predictions of computational perfection to yourself.

Next time something weird happens on my computer i'll remember to video it for your benefit .

many thanks,

CRiS

p.s.

This particular Indesign file still has strange characteristics - while the PDF illustrations from illustrator work perfectly.

My PhD in UX design gives me some credibility when it comes to making observational claims about technological experiences.

• 5. Re: Can Display Performance affect Export PDF quality??
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

crisdesgroot wrote:

… Once i saw the finished print job - i went back in and saw that my exported PDF was lo-res.

I open up Indesign - and it's showing all links are healthy , but with the offending item at Fast (low) Display Perfomance.

I click on 'high quality' display for the offending object, and export again.

The offending element in the PDF now looks great.

I can even go back , turn the display back to Fast, and re-export - getting the lo-res element back.

I do however, now think that the Indesign file itself might be a bit glitchy as i can't repeat this effect when starting a new file.

It's odd. I hope it doesn't happen again. It can lead to expensive mistakes. I will be super observant of all proofs in future!

Hi CRiS,

is there a chance to test that particular InDesign document on my machine with OSX ?
                  Maybe by providing a download link via personal message (through this forum)?

I never heard of a case like this.
                  But I agree, that "nothing is impossible" with software… ;-)

Kind regards,

Uwe

• 6. Re: Can Display Performance affect Export PDF quality??
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How are you checking the resolution of the objects in the exported PDF? If you check the offending object with AcrobatPro's Output Preview>Preview>Object Inspector are you getting different Image Attributes (size in pixel dimensions and resolution). For example:

Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 7.19.51 PM.png

If you are getting different resolutions maybe you could show us a capture of the attribute differences?

• 7. Re: Can Display Performance affect Export PDF quality??
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also, I would avoid the Press Quality preset which exports untagged CMYK with no indication of the output intent. PDF/X-4 would be a better choice—if you need all CMYK you can force all the color into the document's CMYK profile from the Output tab.