13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2016 12:28 PM by cbishop01

Data Merge from multile sources.

cbishop01 Level 2

Is there a way in Indesign 2015 to use multiple Sheets in excel or multiple excel files for data merge?  The Data merge sheet i have now has about a10 columns and if i add everything i want to merge it will be more than likely 20 or more.  I would like to have one files/sheet For the front of the file and another file/SHeet for the back.

• 1. Re: Data Merge from multile sources.
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If it's two different pages, think about doing it as two merges and then interleave the files (I'm pretty sure there's a script for that part).

But 20 columns really isn't a problem for data merge...

• 2. Re: Data Merge from multile sources.
            cbishop01 Level 2

The merge is actually one page but i'm trying to break up the merge into 2 parts.  1st part the front of the label.  and second the back. of the label.  SO that way when there is only changes on the back rather than looking through 20+ columns i would only need to look through 3 or 4.  For just me i could deal with the 20 columns but other people that work on these files may not want to mess with that many different columns.

• 3. Re: Data Merge from multile sources.

Not sure why you would put front and back of a label on the same page, but you could still do two merges, then use Scott Zanelli's script (InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files) to place the merged files into a new document. Edit the merged file, not the combination.

Personally, I don't see a difference with the number of columns -- they should all have some sort of meaningful header to identify them, and if they're arranged in your spreadsheet in the order they appear in the merged doc that makes it even easier to find the right one. Nothing will help with searching down the column other than using the spreadsheet find function.

• 4. Re: Data Merge from multile sources.
                cbishop01 Level 2

These are paint can labels.  So we have the front with the art on it and the back with all the Warnings, Information etc..  so it all works better being on one page.  And again the amount of columns dont matter to me but i am sure that some of the people that i work with (that are set in their ways)  will not want to mess with multiple columns if it is possible to reduce it.  I'm going to try that script to see if that will work for them.

• 5. Re: Data Merge from multile sources.
                  John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd suggest your thinking a is bit backwards. The tricks you'll need to break this into separate merges are considerably more complex than a basic 20-column table. If 20 columns is too many, how will they take to running a script?

..the amount of columns dont matter to me but i am sure that some of the people that i work with (that are set in their ways) will not want to mess...

It sounds like YOU are "set in their ways."

It also sounds like you're trying to implement an improvement in the label workflow. So you should at least give them a chance to adopt the most straightforward method before compromising your improvements.

• 6. Re: Data Merge from multile sources.
                    cbishop01 Level 2

Yeah if they adobt this it will increase our productivity by about 5 times.  I've already brought up the things i'm trying to do to them and thats why i am on here.  He/they have already said they like the way it is now.  Which in the long run its up to our bosses which like my way.  I'm just trying to Make it as stress free of a change as possible.  As well as make it a fairly easy transition. 

And as far as 20 being to many.  I misspoke on that i was meaning it would be better and more organized if i could break it up into sections.  It would be great if i could do different Merges in the same row but i now know thats just not possible.

• 7. Re: Data Merge from multile sources.
                      John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      And as far as 20 being to many. I misspoke on that i was meaning it would be better and more organized if i could break it up into sections.

Aside from having no knowledge of the current/past methods upon which you're attempting to improve, I'm sure I'm not getting all the nuances that may be involved here, but what is it that you would "break up into sections"? The data file? If so, you can format it in spreadsheet form any way you deem necessary to enhance usability. Use colors, borders, a frozen top row with section headings, etc. to help organize the columns. Saving a copy as in a delimited format for Data Merge purposes scrubs all that out (and makes it otherwise unusable) anyway. Or is there some other part of this that becomes the tripwire?

• 8. Re: Data Merge from multile sources.
                        cbishop01 Level 2

The part i want to break up is the text on the back panels(This is where the extra unwanted breaks would be).    It has about 4 paragraphs with about 5 bolds in different places.  The breaking up would be of the paragraphs on the back. Some of the paragraphs start with a Bold word and the others have bold words in the middle of the paragraph. We can still manually enter this in the labels which is looking like the best way to do it.  I may not be able to Semi-automate that part.  I'm just checking with you guys to see if its even possible to do this.   As far as the Excel files keeping bolds table colors etc.  Can data merge use any formats that excel saves as that keeps this formatting?  If not again not a big deal we'll just have to deal with it.

• 9. Re: Data Merge from multile sources.
                          cbishop01 Level 2

How many columns would be too much for data merge to handle?  Or is there no real limit?   At most its looking like i would need about 30 columns give or take a few.

• 10. Re: Data Merge from multile sources.

I'm not aware of any limit.

How many different words need to be bolded? If it's a short list it would be very easy to add them to a GREP style as part of your paragraph style assigned to the text on that part of the label. That could easily cut down the number of columns if you are breaking things apart just for that formatting.

• 11. Re: Data Merge from multile sources.
                              cbishop01 Level 2

How would i go about making one grep style change multiple lines? 

For instance i want the words "MPORTANT and Sentence FOR PROFESSIONAL USE  and HAZARD" all bolded.

• 12. Re: Data Merge from multile sources.

for the query use

IMPORTANT|FOR PROFESSIONAL USE|HAZARD

to the GREP Styles in your paragraph style, and trigger a character style that adds only Bold.

• 13. Re: Data Merge from multile sources.
                                  cbishop01 Level 2

I Wish i could put more than one correct on this one since i had a 2 part question.  BUt thank you both for your help.  I'm sure i'll have more questions later.  Thanks again.