18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2016 10:53 PM by Laubender

Bugs in find and replace dialog box

JenniferSeidel Level 1

I'm using find and replace to check terms that need to be treated consistently through a 700-page book. I'm having two problems.

Sometimes, when I've finished searching one term and go to the find field to delete it and type another, Indesign actually deletes the word *on the page* that was last highlighted. This has happened several times, and I *think* I've caught it each time but I fear that I didn't and that I won't be able to determine where it happened.

I also have a frequent issue that when I go to modify a term in the find field, the characters I type appear in backwards order. For example, after searching "eye line," I go to change the latter part of the term to read "ring" (as in "eye ring") and what I get is "eye gnir"!

These bugs are happening way too often.

• 1. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I have never seen anything like this nor have I seen it reported. If it were a bug, I suspect we would have heard about it by now.

That said, what version of InDesign? What operating system? What are the exact step you’re taking to have this occur?

• 2. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box
            JenniferSeidel Level 1

I'm working in CC Indesign (11.2.0.99) on a Macbook Pro running Yosemite (10.10.5). The files were created in an older version of the file, so I re-save them, work in them, and then save them down (IDML) when I'm finished.

I search for a term in the document. When that search is finished, I go to type in the find field, and sometimes when I hit delete (as opposed to highlighting the searched term and typing another in its place), it deletes the text that had been highlighted *on the page*. This has happened more than a dozen times in the last couple weeks.

The other thing I get is that when I go to delete a few letters and type new ones, they type in backwards. This also has happened very frequently.

I've been using desktop publishing software for 20 years, so I'm not a newbie.

• 3. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bob, I have seen the backward type issue in the find/change dialog, and sometimes each letter will replace the next, so Im left with just one letter or number in the box. 

I have been just living with it; closing and re-opening the dialog seems to fix it.

• 4. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box
                sslid Level 1

InDesign CC on Mac 10.11.6

Hi Bob, I also get this very often. I've found a way I can recreate it consistently, at least on my system:

1. Open a document and click anywhere inside it.

2. Command-F to open find/replace, and type "qqq" (or any characters that don't appear in the document) in Find.

3. Hit return and then hit return again to "OK" cannot find match.

4. Click after last "q" in dialog box and press delete twice. The second delete does nothing.

5. Click between the two remaining "q"s in the dialog box and start typing - this comes out backwards.

Help!!!!

• 5. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Report your InDesign bugs here:

Feature Requests/Bug Reports

2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box
                    John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JenniferSeidel wrote:

I search for a term in the document. When that search is finished, I go to type in the find field, and sometimes when I hit delete (as opposed to highlighting the searched term and typing another in its place), it deletes the text that had been highlighted *on the page*. This has happened more than a dozen times in the last couple weeks.

What I don't see here is your account of exactly what step(s) you take to positively re-establish focus on the Find/Change dialog before perpetrating input. In fact, even if it's obvious to some, it bears mentioning that Find/Change is a unique case in which the document pages remain fully and freely editable even while there's an active dialog box pinned in front. If the focus is on the document page while found text is selected and the delete key is pressed, the selected text on the document page will indeed be deleted...every time. This is as-designed behavior.

• 7. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box
                      sslid Level 1

Thanks, Steve - I've reported it.

• 8. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box
                        Pragya Kandari Adobe Employee

Hi all,

We are aware of the backward typing issue.

J Seidel, for the case where the text gets deleted, can you please confirm if it is in the same scenario as mentioned by John in the comment above or some other case?

Thanks and Regards

Pragya

• 9. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box
                          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'll try to find a pattern to when it happens - it seems random, but I will look for the trigger, and report back if I figure it out.

• 10. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box
                            courtneykyle Level 1

I've been having this same problem! It's so strange. It's hard to replicate it willingly, it just seems to happen for no reason. I've had it happen several times in the find/replace box, but now it's happening within text on my pages.

I just recorded a video of this happening (sorry, it's very rough, this is the first time I've recorded my screen.)

Here's a link in case the embedded video doesn't work: InDesign Problem on Vimeo

I try typing the word "Challenge" in to the top line and you can see what happens as I type. The same thing was happening with the parentheses, when I tried to type the correct parenthesis InDesign rendered the opposite one until it decided not to...

I can't purposefully recreate this problem... it seems to occur randomly every few weeks or so. I usually just restart the app, restart my computer, or save into a new doc but I've done all of that and it's still glitchy. My language preferences are all correct as well (in InDesign as well as my system preferences).

I hope you guys can find a fix for this!

• 11. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box
                              courtneykyle Level 1

Continued working and it's happening again... here's another clip. This really needs to be fixed! I'm not quite sure how to work around this. Link: InDesign Problem #2 on Vimeo

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/182693235" width="640" height="400" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<p><a href="https://vimeo.com/182693235">InDesign Problem #2</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user56658358">Courtney Kyle</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

*** Just went back into .INDD to work on this file and tried clearing all overrides in my Paragraph styles. That seemed to fix everything so that I can type and delete things like normal. At least I can proceed with my work for now!

• 12. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box
                                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Courtney,

I could bet that your issue has to do with the imported Word document. ( But I wouldn't ;-) )

Could be that formatting would have travelled over, that InDesign would interpret as change on the keyboard direction from left-to-right to RTL (right-to-left).

For your paragraphs where this will happen:

Check for any overrides to the applied paragraph style, especially what Composer is used.
                                Don't apply the World Ready Composer. Also check for deviations with applied character styles.

Will this happen only after using Find/Replace?

What is your exact version of InDesign?
                                What is the version of MS Word used?
                                Anf finally what is your exact OSX version?

Regards,
                                Uwe

• 13. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box
                                  courtneykyle Level 1

Yeah, I thought that too at first. I placed the Word doc in at the beginning using the usual place/import tools, and when that wasn't working I deleted everything and copy/pasted the text over rather than going thru the import options hoping that might help though it didn't actually make a difference.

How do you check to see what composer is being used?

This time it happened without opening Find/Replace first (though the first time this weird typing glitch happened, it was in the find/replace box--can't remember what I was working on at the time).

InDesign Version: 11.4.1.102

Word Version: 14.6.5 (MS Word 2011)

OSX: 10.11.6 El Capitan

• 14. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box

courtneykyle wrote:

… How do you check to see what composer is being used? …

Hi Courtney,
                                    select all the text and check the Paragraph Panel.

1. One single composer setting used for all the selected text.
                                    In this case the "Adobe Paragraph Composer" ("Adobe-Absatzsetzer" in German):

ParagraphComposers-OneUsedForAllSelectedText.png

2. Three different composer settings used for all the selected text:

ParagraphComposers-MixUsed.png

If you are using paragraph styles and character styles extensively also check if there are deviations from the applied styles.

For that use the "new" feature where you can see overrides on paragraph basis (the slightly darker blue bar at the left side of a text frame) or on character basis (blue bar with the text):

HighlightingOverrides.png

Regards,
                                    Uwe

• 15. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box
                                      sslid Level 1

Hi Pragya -

You're aware of the backward typing issue - but it's still there in the 2017 version that's just been released. Any idea how long it will take to fix??

• 16. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box

Right. I can confirm this bug in the Find field of Text Find/Replace and GREP Find/Replace.
                                        InDesign CC 2017 v12.0.0.81 on Mac OSX 10.10.5.

And another oddity comes with that:

After you try to delete one character in the Find field, the arrow keys cannot move the insertion point of the cursor in the field anymore. You have to select another insertion point with the mouse before they will function again.

But then you'll type backwards

Regards,
                                        Uwe

• 17. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box
                                          Monica Singh Adobe Employee

HI Steve/Uwe,

We know this issue. This issue is not fixed in InDesign CC 2017.

We will be looking into it in future release.

Thanks,

Monica Singh

• 18. Re: Bugs in find and replace dialog box

Hi Monica,

I know, that you know :-)

There is also another issue with the input fields: Whenever I try to remove text from the fields after a search did not come up with a result, it's hard to get rid of the contents to clear the field. I have to switch from one tab (Text) to the other (GREP) and back to select all input in the field to remove it.

Thank you for looking into this.
                                            Uwe