15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2016 11:30 AM by john beardsworth

Aperture to Lightroom 6 Windows 10 plug-in - none defined.  How to convert?

amya82879962

I bought Lightroom 6 (not CC) and was almost sure from Googling that I could import from Aperture using a plug-in.  From File/Plug-in extras there is "(none defined)" unlike what I'm seeing in various posts for LR 5 where there are 4 options, one of which being import from Aperture.  I thought maybe I had to search in Plug-in Manager and download it, but searches on Aperture result in nothing.

Is the plug-in available for LR 6? If so, how do I get it.  If not, why was it something I could do on the CC trial version?

Am I dreaming thinking I can go from Aperture on a Mac to Lightroom on Windows 10?  I feel like I bought the wrong product.

• 1. Re: Aperture to Lightroom 6 Windows 10 plug-in - none defined.  How to convert?
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi amya,

Aperture import plugin is available in Lightroom but that is only for Mac machines and not Windows as Aperture application is only for Mac operating systems.

Here is the faq link: Aperture Import plug-in for Lightroom FAQ 

If you want to import Aperture library from Mac to Windows, you should first export all the images from Aperture to the external drive on your Mac and then, bring them over to Windows for import in Lightroom.

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: Aperture to Lightroom 6 Windows 10 plug-in - none defined.  How to convert?
            amya82879962 Level 1

Thanks for the quick response. If I export the images do I lose all the meta data/rankings/keywords? I get that I'll lose all adjustments.  Would it be better to install LR on the Mac, use the plug-in to get everything to an external drive then import to the Windows machine? i can't be the first person to move off a Mac, right? Thanks for any feedback!

• 3. Re: Aperture to Lightroom 6 Windows 10 plug-in - none defined.  How to convert?
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

amya82879962 wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. If I export the images do I lose all the meta data/rankings/keywords? I get that I'll lose all adjustments. Would it be better to install LR on the Mac, use the plug-in to get everything to an external drive then import to the Windows machine? i can't be the first person to move off a Mac, right?

No, but you'll be in a tiny minority who mixed switching from Aperture with moving to Windows.

Your best route is to go back to Aperture on the Mac, install Lightroom and run the plugin. See this article for some options you may find useful - especially "the steps".

• 4. Re: Aperture to Lightroom 6 Windows 10 plug-in - none defined.  How to convert?
                amya82879962 Level 1

Okay, I'm on an old MacBook Pro on 10.7.5 - too low for LR to work -  so I successfully upgraded to El Capitan and now have LR working on it.  I went to the plug-in and got "the importer plug-in supports libraries maintained with Aperture 3.5.1 and later.  An older library is currently selected. Please note that errors may be encountered if you proceed. "

Best bet to move forward?  Should I try the import off of the iPhoto library (same library). 

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Aperture to Lightroom 6 Windows 10 plug-in - none defined.  How to convert?
                  amya82879962 Level 1

Sigh.  Just tried to open Aperture and got "in order to open Aperture.app, you need to update to the latest version.  The version of Aperture installed on this Mac is not compatible with OS X El Capitan.  Download the latest version from the Mac App Store."  Then I got there and it's no longer available.  *******.

• 6. Re: Aperture to Lightroom 6 Windows 10 plug-in - none defined.  How to convert?

I believe it may no longer be available in the usual way, but I thought it was possible to go to your purchases in the App Store and get it from there. See below.

Your iPhoto idea may work. Not sure, but worth trying.

Also, remember this alternative method https://apertureexporter.com/ . I haven't tried it, but I had good reports from people who I would trust.

John

Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 09.35.03.png

• 7. Re: Aperture to Lightroom 6 Windows 10 plug-in - none defined.  How to convert?
                      amya82879962 Level 1

I've had some great luck! I got 3.6 Aperture and El Capitan working.  I was able to do the plug-in conversion onto an external hard drive.  The sizes match up pretty close - my Aperture library was around 170GB and about 166GB came to the hard drive. There is an exception report of what didn't come so I'll go through that.

Now onto the IMPORT of this data to Lightroom on the PC.  I want to ensure it puts Aperture projects in corresponding LR collections.  What settings will do that?  I am going to copy photos to the PC rather than have them on the external hard drive.  Bought this beefy laptop so going to store all data in it.  Other than that, what will get these to come over organized as they were in Aperture?  From what it looks like, it seems it's going to just import based on the date named folders.  Not really what I want.  Thanks!

• 8. Re: Aperture to Lightroom 6 Windows 10 plug-in - none defined.  How to convert?

amya82879962 wrote:

Now onto the IMPORT of this data to Lightroom on the PC. I want to ensure it puts Aperture projects in corresponding LR collections. What settings will do that? I am going to copy photos to the PC rather than have them on the external hard drive. Bought this beefy laptop so going to store all data in it. Other than that, what will get these to come over organized as they were in Aperture? From what it looks like, it seems it's going to just import based on the date named folders. Not really what I want. Thanks!

No, there is no "IMPORT of this data to Lightroom on the PC". What you do next is copy the Lightroom catalogue that is on your Mac (and which has corresponding collections) and open it on your PC.

The Folders panel will probably show missing folders because the Mac's folder path is different from the PC's. Correct this by right clicking the top level folders and pointing to the folder's Windows location.

The only "import" might be if you have already done work in an existing catalogue on your PC. If this is so, it'll be File > Import from Catalogue.

• 9. Re: Aperture to Lightroom 6 Windows 10 plug-in - none defined.  How to convert?
                          amya82879962 Level 1

Okay, I think I'm almost at lightbulb moment.  When I did the plugin to convert, I wrote the files to the external hard drive.  Now, without the hard drive plugged in, LR can see all the thumbnails with a "the file could not be found" since the external hard drive isn't plugged in.  Those thumbnails explain the 40GB that have taken up residence on the flash drive as cache files. That took some digging to find why start up disk was almost out of space. Anyhoo, LR  has a Collection called "from Aperture/Projects" and under that is how I named projects.  So this means that the collection information is still on the flash drive of the Mac, not on the external hard drive.  How do I move that collection information to the other machine?   Can you tell me where that lives?

• 10. Re: Aperture to Lightroom 6 Windows 10 plug-in - none defined.  How to convert?

Are you looking at Lr on your Mac? I'll assume that's what you mean as it shows the files missing when the EHD isn't attached, and you see the projects.

Now, close Lr on Mac and go into the Pictures folder. You should find a folder called Lightroom and it should contain a Lightroom Catalog.lrcat (if not, ask again). This is what you have been looking at - its modified date should be when you closed Lr. You need to move this catalogue over to your PC.

There is also a file called Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata. You can ignore it.

Then on your PC, open this catalogue and correct the missing folder paths.

• 11. Re: Aperture to Lightroom 6 Windows 10 plug-in - none defined.  How to convert?
                              amya82879962 Level 1

Yes, I was looking at LR on the Mac and could see my previous projects.  After upgrading to El Capitan I could no longer find any files so googling fixed that - grabbed the catalog file from the Mac and slapped it in this directory on the PC:

users\micro\Pictures\Lightroom (Windows 10)

Now I go into Lightroom on the PC and can see the projects - meaning it pulled the catalog database/pointers/etc (much like  you need  Aperture library to access/organize referenced masters, you need the catalog file to access/organize the images on Lightroom).  I may be over thinking things - at this point I don't need to IMPORT from the external hard drive, I simply need to move them to the correct location on the PC, right?  If that's the case, where do they need to live?  Good chance I'll have this figured out after another cup of coffee...

• 12. Re: Aperture to Lightroom 6 Windows 10 plug-in - none defined.  How to convert?

OK, so you now have the catalogue on your PC, and the photos show as "missing" in Lightroom. You are getting close. You are right, there's no need to import.

If the photos are on the EHD which is attached to the PC, I assume you want them on your PC. So using Explorer I would copy the entire set of folders from the EHD and onto your internal hard drive or network or wherever you want. Don't do anything clever like changing folder names or reorganising the folders (yes, do that in Lightroom later, if at all). Just get all the photo folders onto your PC in the identical folder structure.

Once this is finished, open Lightroom on the PC and go to the Folders panel. All folders will be marked "missing" (ie have a question mark). Fixing a parent folder's location will fix all its subfolders, so focus on top level folders - there may be just one. Right click the top level folder and use Find Missing Folder. Point to the new folder location and you're done.

Also check where your Lightroom catalogue is. I guess you want it on your PC, not the EHD, so Edit > Catalog Settings shows you where it is.

John

• 13. Re: Aperture to Lightroom 6 Windows 10 plug-in - none defined.  How to convert?
                                  amya82879962 Level 1

Hi John,

I'm in business!  I had to do some dancing with the folders.  After the conversion they came across in this format "yyyy/mm/yyyy-mm-dd" - it required doing a lot of combination "hide the parent" & "show the parent" so they were grouped, then I did "update folder location" so they mapped properly.  That saved me from having to manually match EACH folder as there were hundreds of them. All seems to be good, all rankings, keywords, are there.

Now I've started importing from multiple devices.  The format that the conversion did (above) is not an option for importing.  So you cannot import into that same folder structure.  I will have to redo the folder structure to match the choices of import.  Sorta a silly oversight when the plugin was developed.  Unless I'm missing something!  Thanks for all your help.

• 14. Re: Aperture to Lightroom 6 Windows 10 plug-in - none defined.  How to convert?

amya82879962 wrote:

Now I've started importing from multiple devices. The format that the conversion did (above) is not an option for importing. So you cannot import into that same folder structure. I will have to redo the folder structure to match the choices of import. Sorta a silly oversight when the plugin was developed. Unless I'm missing something! Thanks for all your help.

Great, glad you're up and running.

Not sure what you mean about multiple devices here. Are you referring to mobile? But in general, you should be able to import new photos into a similar/same folder structure as used by the Aperture conversion plugin.

John

• 15. Re: Aperture to Lightroom 6 Windows 10 plug-in - none defined.  How to convert?

A good idea is to run the menu command Library > Find all Missing Photos. It should report zero - ie there are no missing photos.

I run this every so often, just in case I've done something silly like moving files or renaming photo folders in Explorer. It usually reports zero, usually.

John

1 person found this helpful