7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2016 6:09 AM by sillybomb

Best way to link circle's x,y position to corner of a mask

Petros_ Level 1

Howdy. I'm trying create a setup where I have the following elements:

1. An image masked by a rectangular shape
      2. 4 dots, one at each corner of the mask

I'd like to be able to grab either the corner of the mask or the dot at that corner and have both things (the corner point and the dot) move together. For example, imagine I had a blue image with a pink dot on it masked with a dot on each corner:

Then I moved the two dots on the right to the right:

Maybe I'm overcomplicating it and I should just keyframe the mask corners and the dots separately, but it seemed like an expression might let me link those two things together (I'm going to be moving them a fair amount). I've watched a few tutorials and tried pickwhipping the circle shape's position to the position of the mask, but that's not really what I want. I want to position the circle shape on the corner of the mask. Any ideas how I would approach this?

Pete

• 1. Re: Best way to link circle's x,y position to corner of a mask
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Without a 3rd party script you can't tie the vertices of a mask layer to position with an expression or any thing else.

I would have approached this problem with a shape layer, rather than a mask. If you used a rectangle and observed the position and size you could easily tie the dots to the corners. If you needed this shape layer to act as a mask for another layer you could use it as a track matte and just keep it visible.

Something like this:

Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 7.14.18 PM.png

Now just animate the size of the rectangle and the dots will stay in place. Use the layer's position to place the rectangle where it needs to be, set it as a track matte for the circle. Note that the Transform Rectangle Position is 0, 0

The bottom right and top left are just created with a pickwhip then the size divided by 2. You put a minus sign in front of one of the expressions. The top left and bottom right require you to separate the values in an array and put a minus sign in front of the x for one and the y for the other. Pretty simple stuff.

• 2. Re: Best way to link circle's x,y position to corner of a mask
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If you just want a rectangle, then there's a million alternate ways...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Best way to link circle's x,y position to corner of a mask
              Petros_ Level 1

Rick, this is fantastic! Your screenshot and explanation made it easy to figure out. The track matte idea worked, but it made the ellipses part of the mask and I need them to sit above the mask so I just duplicated the shape layer, deleted the ellipses, and then used expressions to tie the size of the bottom rectangle to the size of the top one and use the bottom one as the mask. Maybe there's a better way to do that.

The only catch is I can't figure out how to drag a side of the rectangle with my mouse instead of animating the properties. I realize this might be a dumb question but is there any way to be able to grab a side and drag it out instead of sliding the size property? Right now it's animating the scale property which skews the ellipses instead of the size property.

• 4. Re: Best way to link circle's x,y position to corner of a mask
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As with all things shape layers - if something doesn't work as expected, add another level of grouping to get an extra transform. Parametric items don't have transform handles, anyway.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Best way to link circle's x,y position to corner of a mask
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have to change the size of a rectangle using the size parameter. If you try and click and drag you change the scale.

• 6. Re: Best way to link circle's x,y position to corner of a mask
                    Petros_ Level 1

Yeah, do you mean pre-composing to get another level of grouping? Or parenting the shape layer to a null? I'm still learning my way around AE.

• 7. Re: Best way to link circle's x,y position to corner of a mask
                      sillybomb Level 1

RE: Rick Gerards addition.

There are two levels of 'size' within a 'Rectangle' shape.

Opening up the path you will see you can alter the values for the rectangle.

And within Transform: Rectangle you have the 'scale' of the rectangle (and all paths in that 'level of grouping'.

Dragging vertices will change the 'scale' value only and alter all paths in that level of grouping.

Tip especially if you are getting in to expressions

Sometimes its easiest to set the rectangle to 100,100 - then your 'scale' will be an identical value to the rectangle 100,100 if required.