14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2016 8:00 AM by AnnieVE

Lightroom or Elements for these particular functions?

AnnieVE

Hi!  I have been doing a bunch of research but still can't seem to figure out which is the right product I need for editing scans or photos of my acrylic paintings:   Elements, Lightroom, or PS-CC.

The editing I need to do on my scanned or photoed acrylic Paintings are:

1.  Correct colors that got clobbered by the scanner or camera.

2.  In particular, fix areas where there is a gradient of colors, say purple to blue

3.  Mask certain areas, and fix either what's inside or outside of it.

4.  Minor touch-ups, like adding an element to the painting that wasn't there before

5.  Blurring or removing spots, etc.

6.  Most importantly!:  soft-proofing my painting image before I send it to the print shop to be printed...  I desperately need to be able to see what my painting is going to look like before I send it to the printer.

7.  Add lettering to some paintings.  It would be nice to be able to have color gradient letters or image-filled letters, using existing fonts.

8.  Can Lightroom be used on an iPad Pro 12.9 inch effectively?

Will either Elements or Lightroom do this for me?

I'm trying to avoid using PS-CC because the learning curve to use it seems intimidating.  A lot of the functions just don't seem self-evident to me, but if i need to learn it I will.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!

Anne

p.s.  I bought Spyder5Pro to calibrate my monitor, so that should help with the eventual soft-proofing.

• 1. Re: Lightroom or Elements for these particular functions?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

1. If the camera you are using is clobbering colors then you don't have it setup correctly. White balance on the camera and the lighting you are using.

2. Same as # 1

3. Either will be able to do that.

4. LR can't Add any elements to an image. So PSE or the real PS.

5. Either for the first part. Spots, what kind of spots. If it is sensor dust clean the sensor or the glass on the scanner.

6. Both-Either.

7. Don't know much about PSE but you can do that in PS. There is no Text feature in LR except for watermarks when exporting.

8. To many to name but the one I like the most are from Martin Evening

• 2. Re: Lightroom or Elements for these particular functions?
            AnnieVE Level 1

Thank you so much for replying! 

I was told by a person in the PSE forum that Elements 14 does not have soft-proofing.  So it does then?!  Is it as advanced as soft-proofing in Lightroom?

I am using basically a Canon Powershot Elph 340.  I know..  I know...   it's just a little point-and-shoot but it's what I got right now.  Does it have white balance?  I have tried all kinds of lighting but it seems to be hit-or-miss.  I mainly try to shoot outside but in the far shadow of a building so that I don't have direct sunlight but high ambient light. 

Oh darn.  No lettering in LR.  okay. 

Martin Evening.  I will check him out.  Thank you!

Do you use a Mac?  I was hoping to use LR or PSE on an iPad...  or at least on a MacBook Pro but not sure what is recommended. 

Thanks again!  

• 3. Re: Lightroom or Elements for these particular functions?

As I said in my response # 7 "I" "Don't know much about PSE". Never used it. So I really have no idea if it has Soft Proofing or not.

Look here.

Soft Proof in Photoshop Elements

Does you camera have a White balance setting? Yes of course. 5 Preset options and a Custom option. I suggest you RTM (Read the Manual).

Features of you camera. Small cameras, large zoom: Canon's new PowerShot ELPH 340 and SX600: Digital Photography Review

No I use a Windows computer at this time. I've owned Mac computers and honestly will never buy another Apple product as long as I live.

LR, PS and PSE only run on Real Computers, desktops notebooks and the so called 2 in 1 systems, that run Real Desktop Operating systems like Windows and Mac OS X. The iPad runs iOS, Not OS X. So you can forget about running any of those program on an iPad.

Yes there is LR Mobile that runs on Mobile devices, iOS and Android, and only comes with a subscription to the Adobe Photographers plan.

• 4. Re: Lightroom or Elements for these particular functions?
                AnnieVE Level 1

Hi!

Thank you so much for helping me out.  I am a complete novice.  I am sure that is pretty obvious   but I am so trying not to be one anymore     

I will follow up on the links you provided.  So there is much  more i need to do with my camera...   Ok, another manual to read, but I will do it.  thank you!  I didn't even realize how much a factor it was...  I was figuring the default settings would take care of me.

Thanks for the info on the ios. 

Have a wonderful day, and THANK YOU!

Anne

• 5. Re: Lightroom or Elements for these particular functions?

That link was for an older version of PSE. I found other links that said clearly PSE 13-14 don't have a soft proofing system.

Google Photoshop Elements Soft Proofing.

• 6. Re: Lightroom or Elements for these particular functions?
                    AnnieVE Level 1

Oh, thank you!  That must be why there seems to be some confusion on this particular point.

I've decided to go the LR route...

• 7. Re: Lightroom or Elements for these particular functions?
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom is an excellent program. But I don't believe it is a question of either/or. While I do most of my work using Lightroom, there are times when Photoshop or Photoshop Elements is needed. For instance, if you want to add elements from one image to another or do some extensive changes in the content of the picture. You can start out with Lightroom and then decide when or if you will need to add Photoshop Elements to your workflow. I'm going to suggest that you watch some videos about Lightroom to help you understand how it works. The link is for Lightroom CC, but everything is the same for Lightroom 6 except for the mobile features. So take a look at some of these videos. I think it will help you understand Lightroom a little better.

getting started with Lightroom cc - YouTube

• 8. Re: Lightroom or Elements for these particular functions?

For the cost of the Full version of LR, $149 US, you can get a Year + subscription for $9.99 a month and get both LR and the real Photoshop.

• 9. Re: Lightroom or Elements for these particular functions?
                          AnnieVE Level 1

Thanks, Jim.  Yes, what you said about using LR for the majority of fixing my photos, and then PS to do the rest is right.  That is what I concluded as well, so it is good to have someone else confirm  it. 

I have poked around in PS, and had some minor successes but I can see that there is quite the learning curve involved, and I was hoping to avoid having such a huge undertaking.  I've got images I'm trying to get printed in the very near future.  I guess there's no shortcut. 

As I am gathering from my research, PSE looks like it is a pared down version of ACR, so I'm thinking I might as well just get the leased/subscription version of LR + PS since ACR is part of PS already.    Is there a reason why it might be better to get LR+PS and PSE too?

• 10. Re: Lightroom or Elements for these particular functions?
                            AnnieVE Level 1

Hi JSM,  I'm thinking the leased version is the way I am going.  Then I don't have to worry about updates, and I get PS (sigh - big, scary PS) at my timid disposal too.   

I just wish PS was more intuitive.  I get why they haven't changed it...  but I wish there was a version for folks who are NEW to it, and who want all that great functionality too, but in a more intuitive way.  Either way, I;m glad it's around.  It's a great tool.

• 11. Re: Lightroom or Elements for these particular functions?
                              99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are familiar with Elements the learning curve is not so great. PS can just do more stuff and fully edit 16 bit images. I think the Photography Plan is a good deal (LR+PS+Mobile) so good luck.

• 12. Re: Lightroom or Elements for these particular functions?
                                AnnieVE Level 1

Hi Jon,  thank you for your reply.  Is PSE and ACR very similar in how the user interface works?  So if you have used ACR you have essentially used PSE, or are the screens completely different? 

• 13. Re: Lightroom or Elements for these particular functions?
                                  99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes the ACR interface is pretty similar in Elements and full Photoshop. Of course Elements has a stripped down version so the selective adjustment tools are missing.

• 14. Re: Lightroom or Elements for these particular functions?
                                    AnnieVE Level 1

Hi Jon,  thank you.  That seals it for me.  It looks like LR + PS is the ticket. 

Thank you!...  and to all who contributed, thank you!  This seemed like such a huge task when I started researching, but at least now I know which products to get and to start RTM for....  a giant step in the right direction.  Now to tackle the learning curve...

Thank you!  thank  you!

Anne