3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2016 4:42 AM by BobLevine

Mac to Mac Migration CS5/6

bobqOper43

I replaced my Mac Mini with a new one and now run OS10.11.4. I used the migration assistant in my new mac and everything moved over like magic except CS. Every one of the programs in that package that I use came over as well but have been turned into a 30 day provisional license. Why is this? And/or Where do I find the serial number for InDesign etc in the application information on my machine so that I can still keep working after 30, now 27, days?

To my mind migration of software from one computer to another should be like buying a new house and then moving my old furniture into it.

• 1. Re: Mac to Mac Migration CS5/6
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have two problems:

(1) You can't use migration assistant to move Creative Suite software from one computer to another.

You have to clean off the new computer, and use a new installer (or your old DVD/CDs) to install the CS applications:

Download and Installation Help | Download and Installation Help

(2) But the bigger problem is that CS5 and CS6 don't install or run well under Mac OS X 10.11. Even CS6 is four years old and is end-of-life. You'll be on your own since those applications are generally incompatible.

• 2. Re: Mac to Mac Migration CS5/6
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Don't believe Apple propaganda.

Any Adobe Software has to be installed from the original Adobe Installer (and other software supplier have the same requirement for their software).

Apple OS are also very bad when it comes to compatibility to older software or hardware. CS5 and CS6 will not work properly with El Capitan and you will loose also the compatibility to many scanners.

With El Capitan you will have to subscribe to Creative Cloud. A subscription includes CS6, CC, CC 2014 and CC 2015. CC 2016 will come in summer. CS6 from subscription is slightly different from the CS6 from the former package as it has got more updates and it uses also common software with later versions which has been adapted to EL Capitan. But it is slower on El Capitan than on older OS.

• 3. Re: Mac to Mac Migration CS5/6
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Interesting analogy. Most veterans of moving will tell you it's quite often better to throw away, give away or sell your old stuff rather than spend money to move it.

Having done that last year, I can tell you it's great advice.

Steve has already given you your choices so be prepared for headaches with old software on a new operating system.