12 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2006 5:22 AM by Newsgroup_User

Trying to remove templated info from one page only

Site: gracechurch.com
      Editor: Dreamweaver 8

Entire site (~30 pages) built in a single DW template (including index page). Only editable regions of the template are inside the main content table cell and a little piece in the HEAD section. I use the template so I can update the sidebar weekly, and header and footer occasionally.

Here's the problem: I put a "return to the front page" link in the template at the bottom of the main content area so I didn't have to manually insert it every time I make a new page. Unfortunately, that same link also appears at the bottom of the index page which is pointless and a little annoying.

I've been trying to figure out a way to remove, hide or cover that text link on the index page by placing something in the editable region of index.html. My first thought was a JavaScript replace of some sort, but I haven't been able to get that working. A friend suggested covering it with a floating DIV, but the text is over a gradient and the vertical length of the page changes regularly, moving the position of the link.

I realize that I could update everything that uses the template and then edit index.html manually (but not in Dreamweaver; in a text editor), but it's not worth doing that. It is worth asking around for a few ideas, though. Thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: Trying to remove templated info from one page only
          Level 7
          Open the template. Select that link. Use INSERT | Template Objects >
          Optional Region. Name it whatever you want - "returnLink" - leave "Show by
          default" selected, and click OK.

Now, open the index page. Use MODIFY | Template Properties, select
          "returnLink", and deselect the Show this region checkbox.

Bada bing, bada boom.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
          ==================

"GMeador" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e2r57d$r4v$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Site: http://www.gracechurch.com
          > Editor: Dreamweaver 8
          >
          > Entire site (~30 pages) built in identical DW template (including index
          > page).
          > Only editable regions of the template are the main content table cell and
          > a
          > little piece in the HEAD section. I use the template so I can update the
          > sidebar weekly, and header and footer occasionally.
          >
          > Here's the problem: I put a "return to the front page" link in the
          > template at
          > the bottom of the main content area so I didn't have to manually insert it
          > every time I make a new page. Unfortunately, that same link also appears
          > at the
          > bottom of the index page which is pointless and a little annoying.
          >
          > I've been trying to figure out a way to remove, hide or cover that text
          > link
          > on the index page by placing something in the editable region of
          > index.html. My
          > first thought was a JavaScript replace of some sort, but I haven't been
          > able to
          > get that working. A friend suggested covering it with a floating DIV, but
          > the
          > text is over a gradient and the vertical length of the page changes
          > regularly,
          > moving the position of the link.
          >
          > I realize that I could update everything that uses the template and then
          > edit
          > index.html manually, but it's not worth doing that. It is worth asking
          > around
          > for a few ideas, though. Thanks in advance!
          >

• 2. Re: Trying to remove templated info from one page only
            Level 7

open the template.
            select that link, in the Object bar, in the Templates tag, click Editable
            Area. it will make that section editable. Leave the link to "homepage" in
            the new editable area.

save the template.

open the homepage, and delete the link from the new editable area.

When you create a new page, it will still have the link in it, because
            whatever is inside of an editable area in the template is put into that area
            in the new child file.

the only thing you loose is that if you decide to change the text or link in
            that box, it's not going to automatically change now. but this is doubtful
            to change, and find and replace could always be used anyway.

• 3. Re: Trying to remove templated info from one page only
              fps_gold Level 1
              You could make it an editable region in the template and then just replace it with an empty space in your index page? Does that help?
              • 4. Re: Trying to remove templated info from one page only
                Level 1
                And it works! Hadn't thought of that ... deceptively simple. Kinda' goes against the way I thought of templates. If I wanted it editable, I wouldn't put it in the template. If I wanted it in the template, it didn't need to be editable. Never thought of using the template as a "default content" thing. Thanks!
                • 5. Re: Trying to remove templated info from one page only
                  Level 7
                  "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:

> Open the template. Select that link. Use INSERT | Template Objects >
                  Optional Region. Name it whatever you want - "returnLink" - leave "Show by
                  default" selected, and click OK.

> Now, open the index page. Use MODIFY | Template Properties, select
                  "returnLink", and deselect the Show this region checkbox.

This is a very neat solution, and demonstrates once again that there is far more
                  in Dreamweaver than an elderly brain can assimilate without assistance. However
                  there is an alternative way of achieving the same effect:

1. (Assuming your normal template is normalpage.dwt) open normalpage.dwt, insert
                  a new editable region containing the "return to front-page" link, and Save as
                  Template as 'basicpage.dwt'.

2. Rename normalpage.dwt to normalpagep.dwt, but refuse the offer to update
                  links.

3. Create a new page using basicpage.dwt as the template, and turn off the new
                  editable region, so that the link is fixed.

4. Save the new page as Template, naming it 'normalpage.dwt', again refusing the
                  offer to update links.

5. Change the template for the index page to basicpage.dwt, and delete the
                  return link.

This procedure is more complicated, but has the virtue that if you subsequently
                  want to divide the site into several subsets, you can create new templates for
                  each subset, with different return paths or what have you, but still change all
                  the standard stuff by editing basicpage.dwt.

Clancy@cybec.com.au
                  • 6. Re: Trying to remove templated info from one page only
                    Level 7
                    But it has the disadvantage of having to remember to update TWO templates if
                    something changes. Personally, my goal on all sites is to use a single
                    template....

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    ==================
                    ==================

"Clancy" <clancy@cybec.com.au> wrote in message
                    news bs352ta570d67vgkjoqvj8f6m4hu093t6@4ax.com...
                    > "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Open the template. Select that link. Use INSERT | Template Objects >
                    > Optional Region. Name it whatever you want - "returnLink" - leave "Show by
                    > default" selected, and click OK.
                    >
                    >> Now, open the index page. Use MODIFY | Template Properties, select
                    > "returnLink", and deselect the Show this region checkbox.
                    >
                    > This is a very neat solution, and demonstrates once again that there is
                    > far more
                    > in Dreamweaver than an elderly brain can assimilate without assistance.
                    > However
                    > there is an alternative way of achieving the same effect:
                    >
                    > 1. (Assuming your normal template is normalpage.dwt) open normalpage.dwt,
                    > insert
                    > a new editable region containing the "return to front-page" link, and Save
                    > as
                    > Template as 'basicpage.dwt'.
                    >
                    > 2. Rename normalpage.dwt to normalpagep.dwt, but refuse the offer to
                    > update
                    > links.
                    >
                    > 3. Create a new page using basicpage.dwt as the template, and turn off the
                    > new
                    > editable region, so that the link is fixed.
                    >
                    > 4. Save the new page as Template, naming it 'normalpage.dwt', again
                    > refusing the
                    > offer to update links.
                    >
                    > 5. Change the template for the index page to basicpage.dwt, and delete the
                    > return link.
                    >
                    > This procedure is more complicated, but has the virtue that if you
                    > subsequently
                    > want to divide the site into several subsets, you can create new templates
                    > for
                    > each subset, with different return paths or what have you, but still
                    > change all
                    > the standard stuff by editing basicpage.dwt.
                    >
                    > Clancy@cybec.com.au

• 7. Re: Trying to remove templated info from one page only
                      Level 7

>But it has the disadvantage of having to remember to update TWO templates if
                      >something changes.

No: if you want to change the return link, you change it in Normalpage.dwt, if
                      you want to change anything else, you change it in Basicpage.dwt.

> Personally, my goal on all sites is to use a single template....

I have a number of different templates for my web pages. All are based on
                      Basicpage.dwt, which sets the look and feel of the site, and each new template
                      introduces some new feature for particular classes of page.

For example in my photo album I have several different types of index page, and
                      pages to display images in landscape and portrait format. I have templates with
                      different preset titles, templates with special tables for recipes, and so on
                      and on.

Web design is a matter of taste, but there are many ways of skinning a cat.
                      Your way presumably suits your web pages, but my way enables me to build pages
                      covering many different activities, yet all having a consistent look and feel.

http://www.corybas.com/

Clancy@cybec.com.au
                      • 8. Re: Trying to remove templated info from one page only
                        Level 7
                        You're right about personal styles - each to their own. But I wouldn't
                        regard your site as a good advertisement for use of multiple templates. It
                        would be fairly simple to get that site from a single template, I think.

Consider this site - all from a single template -
                        http://www.practicalcomponents.com

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        ==================
                        ==================

news:1q9552108jjk68eu3j66ic0tds7lmb0eos@4ax.com...
                        > "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:
                        >
                        >>But it has the disadvantage of having to remember to update TWO templates
                        >>if
                        >>something changes.
                        >
                        > No: if you want to change the return link, you change it in
                        > Normalpage.dwt, if
                        > you want to change anything else, you change it in Basicpage.dwt.
                        >
                        >> Personally, my goal on all sites is to use a single template....
                        >
                        > I have a number of different templates for my web pages. All are based on
                        > Basicpage.dwt, which sets the look and feel of the site, and each new
                        > template
                        > introduces some new feature for particular classes of page.
                        >
                        > For example in my photo album I have several different types of index
                        > page, and
                        > pages to display images in landscape and portrait format. I have templates
                        > with
                        > different preset titles, templates with special tables for recipes, and so
                        > on
                        > and on.
                        >
                        > Web design is a matter of taste, but there are many ways of skinning a
                        > cat.
                        > Your way presumably suits your web pages, but my way enables me to build
                        > pages
                        > covering many different activities, yet all having a consistent look and
                        > feel.
                        >
                        > http://www.corybas.com/
                        >
                        >
                        > Clancy@cybec.com.au

• 9. Re: Trying to remove templated info from one page only
                          Level 7
                          "fps gold" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>You could make it an editable region in the template and then just replace it with an empty space in your index page? Does that help?

If you do this, you won't be able to change the content by updating the
                          template. Once you have created a page, using a template with an editable
                          region, changing the content of this region in the template has no effect on
                          that page.

Clancy@cybec.com.au
                          • 10. Re: Trying to remove templated info from one page only
                            Level 7

>You're right about personal styles - each to their own. But I wouldn't
                            >regard your site as a good advertisement for use of multiple templates. It
                            >would be fairly simple to get that site from a single template, I think.
                            >
                            >Consider this site - all from a single template -
                            > http://www.practicalcomponents.com

And I think this site demonstrates why you should be using nested templates.
                            All the pages are very cluttered, and in my opinion the pages relating to
                            particular components would be much clearer if all the surrounding clutter were
                            removed. This could readily be achieved with nested templates.

You seem to think that this makes updating more complex, but this is not so.

You can have a basic template, which defines the simplest possible page
                            structure, with one big editable region for the contents, and then you can
                            derive templates from this template which define internal structures in the
                            region 'Contents'. The subsidiary structures can either be advisory, if they
                            are included inside the existing editable region, or dictatorial, if they
                            contain new editable regions inside the original editable region. In this case
                            the original editable region is turned off in the derived templates.

Doing this is not make updating any more complex. If you change anything which
                            is defined in the basic template, this item will be changed in every page which
                            is derived directly or indirectly from this template.

If you change anything which is defined in a subsidiary template, this item will
                            be changed in every page derived directly or indirectly from that template.

However everything which is inside an editable region in the final template can
                            only be changed by changing that particular page.

I have attempted to illustrate these effects in the pages below.

http://www.corybas.com/Technical/Nested.htm

Clancy@cybec.com.au
                            • 11. Re: Trying to remove templated info from one page only
                              Level 7
                              >"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:

>>Consider this site - all from a single template -
                              >> http://www.practicalcomponents.com

ps. On page http://www.practicalcomponents.com/tools_supplies_training/index.htm
                              I got, under Amkor Mechanical Samples, the message:
                              [an error occurred while processing this directive].

I am using IE version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

Clancy@cybec.com.au
                              • 12. Re: Trying to remove templated info from one page only
                                Level 7
                                Thanks, I'll check it out....

--
                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                Adobe Community Expert
                                ==================
                                ==================

news:g3je52dmap5dggmd6ua7s765o144hkr319@4ax.com...
                                > >"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:
                                >
                                >>>Consider this site - all from a single template -
                                >>> http://www.practicalcomponents.com
                                >
                                > ps. On page
                                > http://www.practicalcomponents.com/tools_supplies_training/index.htm
                                > I got, under Amkor Mechanical Samples, the message:
                                > [an error occurred while processing this directive].
                                >
                                > I am using IE version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
                                >
                                >
                                > Clancy@cybec.com.au