8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2016 9:50 AM by Chick Newman

Lightroom Export not opening external editor (PS CC2015)

Chick Newman Level 1

I have the photography subscription from Adobe (Photoshop and Lightroom). Lately, when I export a 16-bit .dng image, as a PSD file Lightroom exports it to a folder but is not opening up the image editor (Adobe Camera Raw 9.5 in Photoshop) with the exported image like it used to do. The image gets exported to the chosen export folder, but if  I want to edit it further in ACR or Photoshop, I need to open PS then hunt for the folder containing the exported image in order to work on it. I discovered this problem today. I don't know what I could have done to cause it. I haven't changed my prefs ...everything worked as expected last week (the last time I exported an image)... exporting an image as a PSD or Tiff file opened up ACR or PS, respectively and brought up the exported version of the image into those programs.

How can I restore Lightroom to open the image editor on export of an image?

Thanks.

Chick

• 1. Re: Lightroom Export not opening external editor (PS CC2015)
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi Chick,

Could you please let me know the exact version of Lightroom installed on your computer?

Also does it happen with DNG file format or did you check any other RAW file format?

What are the external editing preferences set for in Lightroom?

Regards

Tanuj

• 2. Re: Lightroom Export not opening external editor (PS CC2015)
            Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Make sure that you have chosen Photoshop under Post-processing > After export at the bottom of the Export dialog.

And a PSD file should open in Photoshop, not Camera Raw.

• 3. Re: Lightroom Export not opening external editor (PS CC2015)
              Chick Newman Level 1

I finally was finally able to get the image to open in PS (I found a, obscure place in the export dialog where I could choose my image editor, BUT...ACR is not an option!).

Normally, the export flow would and should have been that a 16 bit image, when exported from Lightroom, is supposed to open in ACR, where I can edit it, and then have an option to process it  as a Smart Object when opened in PS. ACR is no longer part of that workflow. Instead, I need to use the ACR filter from Photoshop first, and there is no option in ACR when going with this workflow.to process the edited image as a high-res smart object any more.

How do I restore Lightroom's export dialog to use the ACR external editor when opening 16bit images?

• 4. Re: Lightroom Export not opening external editor (PS CC2015)
                Chick Newman Level 1

By the way, I am using Lightroom CC2015, PS CC2015. Lightroom lists ACR verion 9.5  I can not find the ACR version for PS.

The mandatory external editor for lightroom is PSCC2015 (there is no other choice at the top portion of the dialog). Other external editors listed as secondary post export editors are the various NIK applications.

Chick

• 5. Re: Lightroom Export not opening external editor (PS CC2015)

The editing you can do in ACR can also be done in Lightroom, so there is no point in opening an exported image in ACR.

Lightroom has ACR built-in, and you would typically do edits in Photoshop that can't be done in LR or ACR.

And the preferences for External editing has no effect on exported files - external editing will open a rendered (Tiff or PSD) copy of the file in Photoshop, and return it to Lightroom when you finished editing.

To find out what version of ACR is used by Photoshop, go to Help > About Plugin > Camera Raw.

• 6. Re: Lightroom Export not opening external editor (PS CC2015)
                    Chick Newman Level 1

In the past a 16bit file exported from Lightroom opened Photoshop and Photoshop then automatically opened ACR to display the image. At the bottom of THAT ACR window was an option to open the PSD as a Smart Object in PS (at a optional resolution, e.g. 300ppi or something else). That workflow has changed, whether or not that was the appropriate sequence of external editing or not. What changed?

Also, I don't think my edited (in PS) exports are automatically returned to Lightroom. They are saved in a different folder of my choice.

My ACR in PSCC 2015 is 9.5.9.585

• 7. Re: Lightroom Export not opening external editor (PS CC2015)

The only way I can get an exported image to open in ACR is to export as Original or as DNG.

When you go on to open the image in Photoshop, it will open as a generic file with no extension.

When you save it, you choose a file format, like PSD or Tiff.

My guess is that you previously used to export as Original or DNG.

As for the Smart object part, I don't use it, and can't comment on it. But I see there is an option in ACR to open as Smart object.

• 8. Re: Lightroom Export not opening external editor (PS CC2015)
                        Chick Newman Level 1

You're correct!! That's what I must have been doing...exporting as  dng. I didn't realize that when I made my pref selections on the export dialog.

I am happy now...at least I understand what's going on, finally.

Thank you all!!

Chick