16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2016 5:31 AM by trshaner

How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots

ewood007

Hello all,

We shoot 3 shot brackets and upon import use a preset for the cameras lens for lens corrections then for further corection we use the LR "Auto" lens correction feature.  We currently select the all thee shots in the bracket with Auto-Sync on then click the Auto Lens correction button and it corrects all 3 image the same.  Which is what we need for blending.

My question is how with say 150 images (30 bracketed shots) can I automate either on import or after import?  I've tried selecting all 150 images with auto lens correct but then blending the images they are blurry because they do not line up.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ed

• 1. Re: How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What kind of blending are you doing? Is it exposure blending? Have you tried the built in HDR and pano blends? They will auto-align and take care of lens corrections.

• 2. Re: How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots
            ewood007 Level 1

Hello,

We export to Easy HDR for batch processing then back into Lightroom..

Ed

• 3. Re: How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots

Aha. In that case, you do not want to do the upright corrections, just the lens corrections. As long as your bracketed shots were shot on a tripod, they should align with just really minor image movement. If you use the "auto" corrections, fairly complex adjustments are made to the image that can make it so that they can no longer be aligned. You can do the upright correction afterwards when the image comes back into lightroom so if you want some of the perspective correction to happen there is no problem with doing that after the HDR blending.

• 4. Re: How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots
                ewood007 Level 1

All shots are on tripod etc so everthing is perfect.  I can do this already in lighroom by selecting the 3 images in the bracket then clicking the Auto Lens Correction.  The 3 images that are selected are perfectly alighted after I do this and merge them in to the 3rd party app fine and that is will alignment off on the 3rd party app.  My question is how do I do this same function I am already doing manually and automate this on import or after import to the 50 other brackets in the Catalog?

Do I do stacking will this work?

• 5. Re: How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ewood007 wrote:

My question is how do I do this same function I am already doing manually and automate this on import or after import to the 50 other brackets in the Catalog?

Select all of the image files to be corrected, set the 'Auto Sync' switch at the bottom of the Develop panel, 'Sync will appear in the Lens Corrections Basic panel, and then click on the 'Auto' button. Make sure to turn off the 'Auto Sync' switch at the bottom of the Develop panel.

• 6. Re: How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots
                    ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

If I understand your post correctly, you can create a preset that contains only the lens corrections and have that preset automatically applied during the import process.

• 7. Re: How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots
                      ewood007 Level 1

Thank you and this treats each bracket as the same image when the system does the auto corrections?  My problem has been although the images are the same the amount of exposure makes the auto lens corrections different for each image in the bracket then with the differnt images almost like I moved the tripod it makes ghost lines in HDR results.

• 8. Re: How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots
                        ewood007 Level 1

Thank you yes I do this now with the selected lens but when using the auto lens correction function LR seems to treat each image in the bracket differently then when going to merge them they do not line up correctly.

• 9. Re: How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots

Thank you and this treats each bracket as the same image when the system does the auto corrections? My problem has been although the images are the same the amount of exposure makes the auto lens corrections different for each image in the bracket then with the differnt images almost like I moved the tripod it makes ghost lines in HDR results.

Yes, that is the fundamental problem. With a preset it will analyze each image individually and apply the correction for each image separately and this will lead to each image in a bracket set being dealt with differently, leading to problems merging. Basically with the different exposures it will recognize different lines in the image as needing to be horizontals or verticals and give you different results even when shot on a tripod. On the other hand, when you do a sync of settings, it applies the same upright correction to each image but you cannot automate that for a batch import. This is why I think you should probably NOT do the upright correction at import but only after you do the HDR merge. So on import you use a preset that ONLY does the lens corrections. You send the images to your HDR program, merge them and get them back in Lightroom. Then you apply the upright correction to your new HDR'ed images.

• 10. Re: How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As has been said already, you should NOT use Upright/Auto-Vertical-Level-Full corrections on the input images for your HDR as each will likely be corrected slightly differently as you have found. 

You should do the Upright/Auto-Vertical-Level-Full corrections to the merged result, only, after round-tripping to EasyHDR.

The issue is that Auto-Syncing only choses the type of correction to do across the images, but the each image’s correction is computed from the image alone and can show some variance as compared to the other images in the bracket. 

Obviously in an HDR bracket where images vary significantly in brightness different edges will be in the mid-tone range and so different edges will be used for the auto-correction.  Even if the images have identical shot parameters, there is always some random noise variation in pixel values from one image to the next that could slightly affect the computation of verticals and horizontals used for the Upright corrections.

• 11. Re: How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots
                              ewood007 Level 1

Thank you I understand but my issue is that LR  treats each of the 3 images in the bracekt as the same with auto sync on and selecting only the 3 images in the bracket then clicking auto lens correction.  So my question is how can I automate this the only way I can think to do it is stacking the images by brackets then doing the auto lens correction will LR treat each stack as one image when doing the auto lens correction like I do manually?

• 12. Re: How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots
                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should NOT be correcting each image in the bracket with Auto Lens Corrections.   The images you merge to HDR shouldn’t have the Auto Lens Corrections enabled.  The only image to correct this way is the result of the HDR.  Since you shouldn’t be doing it then there’s nothing to automate.

• 13. Re: How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots
                                  ewood007 Level 1

Thank you I see your point.  I'm still looking for the answer.  I'll call into Adobe tomorrow.

• 14. Re: How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots

Thank you I see your point. I'm still looking for the answer. I'll call into Adobe tomorrow.

The answer is that it can't be done automatically in a large batch fashion with multiple different image sets in Lightroom. The only partial solution that saves you the most clicks is to apply a preset that ONLY does the standard lens distortion corrections (NOT the auto - upright ones!) upon import, then to merge your bracket sets in your external program and lastly only after when the images return to Lightroom fully HDR'ed to do the "auto" upright corrections.

• 15. Re: How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots
                                      ewood007 Level 1

ok thank you apprecated

• 16. Re: How to auto lens corrections with bracketed shots
                                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ewood007 wrote:

Thank you and this treats each bracket as the same image when the system does the auto corrections? My problem has been although the images are the same the amount of exposure makes the auto lens corrections different for each image in the bracket then with the differnt images almost like I moved the tripod it makes ghost lines in HDR results.

My reply #5 was in response to your question: "My question is how do I do this same function I am already doing manually and automate this on import or after import to the 50 other brackets in the Catalog?"

As has already been explained the 'Auto' Upright function will behave differently with the different exposure bracketed images. In fact I've found the 'Auto' Upright function often fails to properly adjust the image.

Re: As of 4-6-2016, the Lightroom Upright function is behaving strangely

I suggest adjusting only the HDR output file and do so manually while looking at each image preview. If the 'Auto' function fails to properly correct the image you should turn it 'OFF' and use the 'Manual Transform' controls. Here's an example 'Auto' Upright failure.

Upright Auto Failure.jpg