5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 2:30 AM by MisterSP

Animate cc intermittent build errors: You cannot debug this SWF

thinkplay

Hi All,

We’ve started having problems with compiling/debugging in animate cc. We’ve been working on a number of multiplatform educational games over the past 12 months and this error seems to have creeped in in the last 2-3 months (seems to be related to the switch over from Flash Pro to Animate CC). The problem affects all our titles in development (they do share a core code base).

The ability of animate cc to compile projects on a Windows 7 PC is very ‘hit and miss’, I would say that were lucky if it compiles and runs 5% of the time.

When using Debugging (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) we get the message - ‘You cannot debug this SWF because it does not contain ActionScript’
      When using Test (Ctrl +Enter) we get the air window opening but with an empty stage same thing happens when using (Ctrl+Alt +Enter)
      When publishing we get the air window opening with empty stage.

We structure our Animate Air projects to run 2 Swf files. Main.fla which includes the class Main in the Class properties with a logo.png, 2 audio files and 2 font files and Package.fla which is loaded at runtime contains all other content. The actionscript for the project is located in 50+ files located in the root, objects and classes folder. The projects ran with this structure without this problem for 12+ months and we’ve been developing air/actionscripts projects for the past 3 years.

We use FlashDevelop as an external texteditor and build the project inside Flash Pro CC/Animate CC.

We have managed to ‘solve’ the compiling issues on one set of projects (x7 apps for PC/Mac/Android/iOS) by adjusting the settings on the logo.png in main.fla and in main.as. But doing the same to other projects has not provided a consistent answer.

On the occasions we have been able to get the project to compile, it seems that doing any number of changes to code or images can helped including: turning off smoothing on logo.png, replacing logo.png, commenting out bits of code etc, adding content to desktop, but there is no definitive solution and more concerning we get no error messages to aid us in solving this issue.

We have also:
      Uninstalled and reinstalled Animate, tested with Air 20 to 22Beta, clear published cache, deleted windows Temp cache, increased the jvm.ini from -Xmx512m to -Xmx4096m, uninstalled Java completely………

We’ve also tested the files on a number of PC including a Dell 8GB FX Quadro 2000 Windows 7,  HP 8GB FX Quadro 2000 Windows 7, HP 16GB FX Quadro 2000 Windows 7 and Dell M4500 8GB Quadro 1800 Windows 7 and we get the same results, compiling and running about 5% of the time.

When we do get it running the code works as expected and will continue to work providing we don’t close the file in Animate CC…. when we reopen the working file chances are that it will not run again

So far animate cc will perform as expected if we replace the Class with and empty/basic class in main.fla(the project does not run, but the fla works as expected) or when running the project on a 16GB Mac Mini (this has not yet been thoroughly tested but it runs current code without any problems).

The code for loading the Package.swf is as follows,

loader = new Loader();
      loaderContext = new LoaderContext(false, ApplicationDomain.currentDomain, null);
      loader.load(new URLRequest("Package.swf"), loaderContext)

loader.contentLoaderInfo.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, completeHandler);

private function completeHandler(event:Event):void
      {
      assets = loader.content as MovieClip;
      }
      and we then get all the content from this asset MovieClip

Other assets are used directly from main.fla(1 logo.png, 2 mp3 and 2 fonts)

Can anybody provide assistance or enable us to debug this problem so we can solve these issues as were at a critical point in our project………

Regards,

Aled Lloyd, Creative Director, thinkplay.tv

• 1. Re: Animate cc intermittent build errors: You cannot debug this SWF
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

i've seen both these errors, ‘You cannot debug this SWF because it does not contain ActionScript’ and the empty stage issue because i had installed flashfirebug.

• 2. Re: Animate cc intermittent build errors: You cannot debug this SWF
            thinkplay Level 1

Thanks for your reply kglad, I really appreciate it, but I don't have firefox/flashfirebug installed.

• 3. Re: Animate cc intermittent build errors: You cannot debug this SWF
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

i understand.  the point is the problem may be caused by something that's seemingly unrelated.

i would initiate debugging by starting in safe mode and see if that makes a difference.

• 4. Re: Animate cc intermittent build errors: You cannot debug this SWF
                thinkplay Level 1

Just tried starting in safemode and I still get the 'you cannot debug this SWF.......' message

.....I've also removed one of the fonts from the design to see if this helped, it has not

A

• 5. Re: Animate cc intermittent build errors: You cannot debug this SWF
                  MisterSP Level 1

I was just having this exact same issue.  I read somewhere that moving the files to another folder could work - (it didn't), I tried renaming the files, removing assets etc and nothing worked.  In the end I went back to the tried and true method of removing or commenting everything out until I found the issue.  I ended up with a FLA with no library assets at all, 2 lines of code on the timeline and nothing on the stage.  The 2 lines of code were an import statement (importing a class), and a variable declaration which was assigned a new instance of the class.  Still no go.  I knew it was something in that class file somewhere so started commenting things out.  End result was that I found the cause, it was a mistype in my classes variable declaration.  Below is what I had...

private var _fontSize = Number = 18;

Obviously the first "=" should have been a ":" - i.e...

private var _fontSize : Number = 18;

After I fixed this, my problem disappeared.  Be aware that while this was the cause for me, I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of many things which could cause this behavior.  It's obviously a bug in the compiler simply not catching this mistype.  In saying that, hopefully if you go looking for something similar you may find your problem.  If not, try doing what I did and start commenting or removing things until you narrow it down.

1 person found this helpful