2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2016 11:55 AM by mmzafrog

Book-level and Chapter-level TOCs

mmzafrog Level 1

I have a book which is a reference manual that is getting rather large, over 1k pages. For clarity, I'm calling each supporting INDD file a "chapter". What I would like is to have a Book-level TOC that just has the Chapter Titles and their page numbers shown up front, then at each Chapter a Chapter-level TOC that goes into page-level detail. Doing the whole thing up front makes for a massive TOC. I want my readers to be able to jump to a Chapter and then discern the pages they need from there.

The Book-level TOC is easy enough. It's the Chapters that are giving me trouble.

The only way I've been able to do this is to generate the detailed TOC and then copy & paste the appropriate bits into each Chapter. As you can imagine this is tedious and error-prone.

Is it possible to have the Chapter-level TOCs auto-generated but restricted to ONLY the pages in the current INDD file?

Apologies if this has been asked before. Have read many articles here but haven't found the answer I'm seeking. Still looking.

InDesign CC 2015.2 on Win10.