3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2016 2:01 PM by [Jongware]

TOC "auto kern" numbers?

Guss25 Level 1

I can't find anything in the forums but may just be searching for the wrong terms. Only way I can think to say it is auto-kerning. The first photo is what I want it to look like, and the second is what it currently looks like. Is there a setting that allows each number to take up the same amount of space so everything justifies from line to line?

Thanks.

TOC_LinedUp.JPG

Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 11.14.50 AM.png

Any help would be great as I don't really want to adjust the kerning by hand if I can help it.

• 1. Re: TOC "auto kern" numbers?
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think the easiest way would be to find a nine-looking monospace font to use for the page numbers.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: TOC "auto kern" numbers?
            BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

The font in the second image is using proportional figures—you want monospaced. Most figures are monospaced (meaning the 1 is the same width as a 5), even when the letters are proportional. You could change fonts, or if the one you are using is an OpenType font, you can change the numbers to Tabular Figures. (Proportional vs. Tabular Figures - Fonts.com - Fonts.com )

In InDesign, you can set this up in OpenType Features:

InDesign CCss_028.png

This blog explains how to control just the numbers via GREP: first as a Find/Change activity and then as a GREP style. Just substitute Tablular Lining for Proportional Oldstyle.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-assigning-old-style-figures-through-g rep-styles/

• 3. Re: TOC "auto kern" numbers?
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

These are called "proportional digits" - the same difference as in 'monospace' vs. 'proportional' fonts.

Designers argue that it makes sequences of digits more pleasant to read, especially for numbers containing '1's, which are usually way more narrow than other digits. They may be right, but it looks horrible in all situations where digits are supposed to line up vertically.

First check if this particular font has distinct 'tabular' digits as a separate OpenType feature. Just select a number and look in the Character panel's dropdown menu, submenu for "OpenType".

If not, this may have been achieved through aggressive kerning; from memory, I think Frutiger has this. Again, select a multi-digit number, and set its kerning to "0" rather than "Metrics" or "Optical".

If neither works, you can manually kern each number (not recommended) or ... select another font.