20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2016 6:55 PM by Murray Foote

Cannot Import From Catalog

MD Miller Level 1

Michael Miller (for my searching capability-don't know if Adobe sends me an email with responses)

PROBLEM:

I am trying to Import from Catalog but the import dialog has the following, but not limited to, grayed out or inactive controls:

Import button,

Import All and individual folder items' checkmarks,

the folders' checkmarks and the individual images' checkmarks,

as well as the checkmarks on the entire preview thumbnails section.

1. I can't do anything. The checkmarks on the folders and images is inactive
      2. I verified that every folder from the external trip drive does not exist on the main desktop drive nor the main Catalog
      3. The scenario is that my desired images (from a 3 month winter trip) and their Catalog are on an external drive (J:).
      4. My main catalog is on my desktop computer (D:) My desktop computer only holds the Catalog and Previews.
      5. and my live, working images are on an attached RAID box (G:).

I watched two video tutorials on Importing from another catalog and their onscreen dialogs show everything available to check, click, drop down, and [Import].

Halp!

• 1. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The import dialog is not used when importing from another catalog. You go to File->import from another catalog. Then you will be able to choose the other catalog and Lightroom will proceed with the import.

• 2. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
            dj_paige Level 9

It would help if you show us a screen capture.

But when you select File->Import From Another Catalog, you have to navigate to the folder where the catalog is located on the J: drive, then select the catalog file by clicking on it, and then the Import button should work.

• 3. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
              MD Miller Level 1

Thanks for responding Jim.

>>File->Import From Another Catalog, you have to navigate to the folder where the catalog is located on the J: drive<<

That's what I did. Start from the desktop and select the Catalog from the external.

I had the occasion to to a cold shutdown of my computer today and went back in and tried it again.

Same result. Most action controls inactive or grayed out, including the Import button.

Note that: the list of folders checkboxes are inactive, the checkboxes on the previews and the Check All and Uncheck All buttons are inactive, and the [Import] button is inactive (grayed out).

This is the "Import From Catalog" dialog box that I was talking about.

It's really shutting down my work.

LR_5.7.1 Import from Catalog.JPG

• 4. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
                MD Miller Level 1

Thanks for responding DJ.

>>select File->Import From Another Catalog, you have to navigate to the folder where the catalog is located on the J: drive<<

That's what I did.

I had the occasion to to a cold shutdown of my computer today and went back in and tried it again.

Same result. Most action controls inactive or grayed out, including the Import button.

Note that: the list of folders checkboxes are inactive, the checkboxes on the previews and the Check All and Uncheck All buttons are inactive, and the [Import] button is inactive (grayed out).

This is the "Import From Catalog" dialog box that I was talking about.

It's really shutting down my work.

LR_5.7.1 Import from Catalog.JPG

• 5. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
                  dj_paige Level 9

The "Check All" button is active. It is not greyed out. What happens if you click on "Check All"? Can you import?

• 6. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
                    MD Miller Level 1

Stand by. Setting it up again. For the last 3 tries the -check all folders'-and- the uncheck all in the previews does not work.

Correction: For ALL my tries the -check all -and- the uncheck all in the previews does not work.

• 7. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
                      MD Miller Level 1

Nope. The check all and uncheck all are disabled.

• 8. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
                        dj_paige Level 9

Can you show us a screen capture? Is there anything different on the left-hand side when the Check All button is disabled?

• 9. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
                          MD Miller Level 1

Don't know what you mean. The left side is mostly ok except Change Existing Photos is disabled and of course the entire folder list in the top left is disabled.

• 10. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
                            MD Miller Level 1

Correction to my previous post:

For ALL my tries the -check all -and- the uncheck all in the previews does not work.

The buttons are not grayed out but they are inoperable.

• 11. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
                              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Import button will be grayed out until you have selected photos for import from the other catalog, and instead of the Check All under the thumbnails, click the checkbox at the left of All Folders at the top left:

• 12. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And in general, if you open that other catalog is everything ok, all the images are online and editable, or are the images missing in that catalog?

• 13. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
                                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Looking at your other thread on this subject I see your post including a screen shot.

It clearly states.

1) New Photos (None Found)

2) Change Existing Photos (1258 Photos) and then you have under the Replace: area you have Nothing selected.

No wonder the Check all button doesn't work.

All those images are already in the catalog you are trying to Import TO.

LR_5.7.1+Import+from+Catalog.JPG

• 14. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
                                    Murray Foote Level 1

It's a bug.

There are 1269 images for which there are previews in the catalogue but where the images are missing, so it should import those.

What you need to do is to delete one of those previews.  Then you get one image under new images.  That will enable the Import button.  The import button is disabled if there are no new images to import, which is not how it should work.

• 15. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog

Murray Foote wrote:

It's a bug.

There are 1269 images for which there are previews in the catalogue but where the images are missing, so it should import those.

What you need to do is to delete one of those previews. Then you get one image under new images. That will enable the Import button. The import button is disabled if there are no new images to import, which is not how it should work.

No it should not. LR has recorded those images as Already In the Catalog because they are already in the catalog. Doesn't matter if they are missing or not.

You clearly don't understand what the LR catalog is and how LR works. It is not a File manager or browser. It is a Database program and once an image is recorded in the database file it can't, and shouldn't, be imported a second time.

Deleting the already recorded images in the catalog also deletes any edits done, keywords assign an collections any of them have been place in.

It is not a bug. It is how LR is intended to work.

• 16. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
                                        Murray Foote Level 1

Correction.  It's a bug but I still can't get it to work.  When I delete an image or even many images, it only imports those images and not the missing images.  I'll have to copy the files across.

It worked for me in another situation when there were many new files because I had deleted many from the catalogue and then it imported missing ones as well.  In that case I didn't want the new files so I sent them to a temporary directory.  If I said to import no new files, the Import button was disabled.

Strange.

• 17. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
                                          Murray Foote Level 1

Not true.  It will reimport missing files that are still recorded in the catalogue provided the import process decides to work.  Why it works sometimes and not others is the mystery.

• 18. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog

Whatever you want to think.

• 19. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
                                              Murray Foote Level 1

Hah! 

I'm reporting actual experience with the dialogue.  If my successful earlier import doesn't accord with your theory, then your theory is wrong.

• 20. Re: Cannot Import From Catalog
                                                Murray Foote Level 1

... However, I discover that even with new photos to activate the [Import] button, it didn't actually copy missing files as the dialogue promises.