7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2016 3:29 PM by Just Shoot Me

Missing previews after a hard drive failure

henrike72903653

Hi!

So, the hardrive on my MacPro laptop crashed, which gives me problems with my images on in Lightroom as I can't get access to the previews of the changes I've made in my editing. Original rawfiles were kept at an external hardrive at the time, so those are "safe and sound". However, is there a way of recovering what I've done i Lightroom? I'm about to try to retract previews following these instructions   Extract previews in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4

But from what I understand that will only work if I, way back when, imported the original files into Lightroom with a 1-1 preview selected. I doubt I had that checked when importing. I most likely used the default settings which I believe will be a much lower setting and not enough. So is there another way perhaps?

Any help will be truly appreciated!

Henrik

• 1. Re: Missing previews after a hard drive failure
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

All the edits you make in LR are stored in the catalog file unless you have the option to "Automatically write changes into XMP" checked in the Catalog Settings dialog under the Metadata tab. So unless you have a backup of your original catalog all your edits are gone with the catalog that was on the crashed hard drive.

When that option is checked LR writes the edits to either a XMP Sidecar file that is stored in the same folder as the image or to the image file itself with DNG, TIF and JPG files.

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Missing previews after a hard drive failure
            Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi Henrik,

If you have the original files on an external drive, then you can relocate the images in Lightroom Catalog so that you can easily access all the edits and get previews back.

You need to connect your external hard drive and follow this article for relocating: How to find missing photos in Photoshop Lightroom 

Regards

Chetna

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Missing previews after a hard drive failure
              henrike72903653 Level 1

Thanks for your quick response! Much appreciated! I assume that option is not set as a default setting? One has to do so yourself ... ?

• 4. Re: Missing previews after a hard drive failure
                henrike72903653 Level 1

Thank you for your response! I appreciate your help! I think I've tried that after, by mistake, moved around stuff between different places ... loosing "connection" and links. However, is this the same type of problem? Is moving stuff around by mistake the same as a hard disk failure? Now I don't get any "missing links warnings" ... It shows nothing but my original raw files.

Regards

Henrik

• 5. Re: Missing previews after a hard drive failure

Yes I think it has to be changed by the user. Not sure as its been a while since I installed a version of LR. I now use the CC version and all settings are carried over from update to update.

When I started using LR, 9 years ago, that is one of the first things I changed with the install of a new version.

Do you have any type of backup system in place like Time Machine or one of the Disk Cloning software programs? Or any backups at all of the LR catalog?

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Missing previews after a hard drive failure
                    henrike72903653 Level 1

Ok. Bummer! But thanks anyway!

So, if I would get the CC version later on ... then I'd have to make the same adjustment in the settings and then just kick back and relax as far as that goes? It will automatically carry over with coming updates?

I've haven't used Lightroom that much. Trying to change that slowly though. So, I've made my edits and then saved jpegs, TIFFs and sometimes DNG files to an external harddrive as they get done. However, of course, this time I didn't do so ... go figure! 

Looking at different options for a back up system, Time machine being on of those. That or perhaps another external mirroring the other one. Probably combined with backing up the most important stuff in some cloud alternative like Dropbox or similar.

Once again ... thanks a lot for your input! / Cheers

• 7. Re: Missing previews after a hard drive failure

henrike72903653 wrote:

Ok. Bummer! But thanks anyway!

So, if I would get the CC version later on ... then I'd have to make the same adjustment in the settings and then just kick back and relax as far as that goes? It will automatically carry over with coming updates?

Yes. With older versions of LR when I newer version came out, an UpGrade not an UpDate, it installed into its own folder not over the top of the previous version. So you had to go through and check all your settings.

With CC, so far anyway, when a newer release comes out it installs over the top of what is already installed, an Update. But to be honest I have no idea what will happen when and if Adobe comes up with LR 2016 or 2017 and possibly issues LR 7 as a stand alone version, perpetual license version.

Right now we are on LR 6.5/CC 2015.5

You need a Good backup system. Whether that be Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper (Drive cloning software program for the Mac) or some other method of backing up all of the hard drive that is used to Boot your computer and that you store all your important files on.

Hard drives fail. It is not IF but When as they all fail.