2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2016 3:12 AM by pausefaux

Composition duration does not match duration on timeline

pausefaux

Hello!

I am using After Effects CC (Version 13.7.2.3). When I create a new composition I am using the following settings:

1920 px by 1080 px

Square pixels

Frame rate: 18 FPS

Start timecode: 0:00:00:00

Duration: 0:00:30:00

When I click okay and go to the end of my timeline, it shows 0:00:29:17 as the duration and underneath it says 00539 (18.99 fps).

This is probably going to be something really silly that I can easily fix but I can't for the life of me figure it out and I've googled it to death! >.<

I just can't seem to match the timeline match the 30 second duration!

If anyone can help I would be so so grateful!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Composition duration does not match duration on timeline
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So I have a question for you. How long does it take the last frame to play? If your frame rate is 18 frames per second then the last frame plays for one 18th of a second. Park the  CTI on the last visible frame of your comp and you will see that you still have one whole frame to play before the video ends. 29:17 is correct for the start time of the last visible frame. Press Ctrl/Cmnd + right arrow to move the CTI to 30:00 and there will be no image visible.

It doesn't matter what the frame rate is the last frame will always start one frame before the end of the comps total time. This is the way all NLE's and all video apps work. The only way around the non-problem would be to make the comp start at 1 instead of zero. That doesn't make much sense though because before you start playing a video no time (zero seconds) have past.

• 2. Re: Composition duration does not match duration on timeline
            pausefaux Level 1

Hi Rick, I feel so silly now. That's exactly right. There is one more frame at the end of the timeline!

Thank you for the explanation!