6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2016 10:13 PM by Thecrapone

Morphing a shape layer with multiple groups/paths into another one?

Thecrapone

Hi,

I am trying to morph shape A into shape B in aftereffects.

shapes copy.jpg

Both are drawn in illustrator, and I have imported them into aftereffects and converted them from path to shapes.

Right now I am doing it by key framing the colour and path of shape B and pasting it on shape A. From there I run into two issue.

1) Right now I have to manually open each Group, each path, each stroke colour before I am able to keyframe them. After which I have to paste the path's key frame and colour's keyframe individually to the corresponding group. It is do-able but I have to morph the shape into 10 more other variations. Just want to check is there a shorter way to key frame all the path and colour properties. And then copy the entire set of keyframe from one shape to another.

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 2.33.34 PM.png

2) I noticed that not all points on the path are created equal. I think the "starting point" is denoted with an additional box as compared to the other points.

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 2.47.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-21 at 2.47.14 PM.png

As the "starting point" of one path is different from the rest, the transition became weirdshape.gif.
      May I check if anyone know how to change the "starting point" to another point on the same path? Or is there another way of fixing it?

Lastly, if there are other easier ways of morphing the shapes to one another, I will be glad to listen. Thanks a bunch~

• 1. Re: Morphing a shape layer with multiple groups/paths into another one?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can change the start point in the right-click context menu for masks and shape paths. For the rest I don't see much potential for optimization, at least not based on genuine paths from AI. It would be possible to create some similar stuff using animated properties and e.g. The Echo effect in a pre-comp, but that may not offer the exact control you may need. And of course at least for the color changes expressions could be set up...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Morphing a shape layer with multiple groups/paths into another one?
            Thecrapone Level 1

Thanks for your help! Back to Cmd C and Cmd V then, haha.

• 3. Re: Morphing a shape layer with multiple groups/paths into another one?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would do that kind of thing differently and 90% of the work would be in Illustrator.

I would start by drawing a path in Illustrator, duplicating the path and changing the size and position and changing the stroke color to the color I wanted for the inside of the first shape at the start of the animation.

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 6.39.54 AM.png

Then I would use the blend tool to create a blend between the two shapes specifying the number of steps so my completed first shape for frame one looked like this:

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 6.46.56 AM.png

I would then do the same thing for my second shape using different colors so I got this:

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 6.49.16 AM.png

With both Blends turned on you would see this:

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 6.53.20 AM.png

The top blend layer is where your animation will start and the bottom is where your animation will end.

The next step is to select both blend layers and Expand the blend so you end up with two groups:

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 6.57.17 AM.png

Here comes the fun part. Select both groups and then specify the number of steps you want as the number of frames you want in your animation. In this case I want a 1 second transition and my comp is 29.97 fps so I choose 30.

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 6.58.20 AM.png

Now expand the blend:

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 7.23.02 AM.png

You should end up with a group in layer 1 with 30 sub groups:

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 7.25.51 AM.png

Ungroup the top group only then deselect all layers and select only layer one and then choose Release to Layers (Sequence).

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 7.28.31 AM.png

now select all of the sub layers in the layer panel and drag them above layer 1. Layer 1 is now empty so you can delete it:

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 7.30.54 AM.png

Save the AI file and import into AE as a comp with Retain Layer Size selected:

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 6.00.56 AM.png

Open the comp, select all of the layers, move the CTI one frame to the right by pressing Ctrl/Cmnd + right arrow, then press Alt/Option + ] to set the out point of all layers, then use the Keyframe Assistant to Sequence layers with no overlap:

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 6.02.05 AM.png

I usually then go to the out point of the bottom layer and press N to set the work area's out point, then trim the comp to the work area.

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 7.35.34 AM.png

This comp is then nested in your main comp and you can enable time remapping so you can change the speed and use CC force motion blur to smooth out the animation.

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 7.45.20 AM.png

You'll find that it is much easier create the morph for a shape layer in Illustrator than it is in AE, you don't need to convert anything to shapes and most of the work is done for you before you start. Total time to create this project with about 1/4 the time it took to create this post.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Morphing a shape layer with multiple groups/paths into another one?
                Kat Gilbert Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

If Ae and An would join forces there would be a simpler solution for this... but... Ai and Ae and Ps work well together.

• 5. Re: Morphing a shape layer with multiple groups/paths into another one?
                  Thecrapone Level 1

Wow, I am amazed with the detailed post, thanks rick, really appreciate all the effort! That's a lot to digest and I will try this first thing in the morning!

• 6. Re: Morphing a shape layer with multiple groups/paths into another one?
                    Thecrapone Level 1

Hey Rick,

I tried your method, it works well.

However, I went ahead and use the original method because the animation looks smoother and it'll be easier to make changes if needed. Took quite a while to paste all the properties, but it will make my life much easier when I need to twig it later on.