2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2016 5:42 AM by trshaner

Lightroom "ruined" my raw file with data loss and color streaks

harkanwars366219

So here I'm editing from a photoshoot when suddenly in my lightroom my image gets completely ruined by these artifacts on the screen. I tried everything to fix this but no luck. Perhaps it could be a bug in the lightroom itself. This is written in the NEF file itself, when i open the file in photoshop same results happen.

Temporary solution: opening this picture.nef file in photo mechanic and saving it as tiff. then opening the file in photoshop or lightroom works.

Any idea?
      HSS_2372.jpg

• 1. Re: Lightroom "ruined" my raw file with data loss and color streaks
          dj_paige Level 9

Somewhere in the path of transfer from camera card to computer memory, there has been a hardware malfunction.

you should try importing the photos again from the camera card using different hardware to see if you can detect which piece of hardware is the culprit. You might also try (if possible) importing the photos into Lightroom using an entirely different computer.

Temporary solution: opening this picture.nef file in photo mechanic and saving it as tiff. then opening the file in photoshop or lightroom works.

You are probably extracting the lower resolution JPG preview from the NEF file, you are most likely not accessing the actual RAW image. Often, the JPG preview is uncorrupted when the actual RAW image in the file is corrupted.

• 2. Re: Lightroom "ruined" my raw file with data loss and color streaks
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is typically caused by file corruption on the memory card or during transfer to the system drive. Photo Mechanic can be set to use the embedded preview in the raw file (Preferences> Raw), which may in fact not be corrupted. How did you Import the picture files (card reader, direct camera USB)?