12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2016 8:02 PM by Geoff the kiwi

How should Lightroom 5.0 files/folders be organized in a Mac?

homeless05

When looking a my Adobe files in my Mac Finder (I also have other Adobe app icons/folders, Photoshop CS5, Media Player, etc.) how should files associated with Lightroom be organized.

I've had to reinstall Lightroom a couple of times and in the list of Adobe program files, Lightroom's app. icon is listed. Where would all the associated files be located that support Lightroom. For example, I just downloaded Raw 9.5 file for a new camera. Where is it filed to function with Lightroom?

• 1. Re: How should Lightroom 5.0 files/folders be organized in a Mac?
          dj_paige Level 9

Simple answer: the photos can be located and organized any way you want and anywhere you want.

The separate Adobe Camera RAW application is not used with Lightroom.

I think you need to be more specific about what you are looking for, exactly what "associated files" are you talking about?

• 2. Re: How should Lightroom 5.0 files/folders be organized in a Mac?
            homeless05 Level 1

Hi dj, simple question, are you a Mac user? If not, my note to you is

Greek. Thanks.

• 4. Re: How should Lightroom 5.0 files/folders be organized in a Mac?
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That page lists the minimum Camera Raw plug-in version for Photoshop and the minimum Lightroom version that can be used with each camera model.  Since Photoshop has been around much longer than LR, you can see that the LR version is 3 less than the corresponding plug-in version in most cases. 

It does not mean that the plug-in works with LR if that's what you're asking.  Something called "Camera Raw" that you download is a plug-in for Photoshop.  Something shown as Camera Raw version when you do Help / About in LR is a software library version that resides both in the plug-in and in LR, itself.

• 5. Re: How should Lightroom 5.0 files/folders be organized in a Mac?
                Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your terminology is Greek to me .... but then I'be only used Macs for 25 years....

What are you meaning by File Association?

The Camera Raw plug in is only for Photoshop.... Lightroom has the code embedded.

Wat type of files are you talking about to be "associated" with Lightroom??? I've never had to do any "association" of files to Lightroom.

• 6. Re: How should Lightroom 5.0 files/folders be organized in a Mac?
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

homeless05 wrote:

Hi dj, simple question, are you a Mac user? If not, my note to you is

Greek. Thanks.

It's not Greek to anyone. Both Windows and Mac OS X along with the install system for every program you have, Adobe or otherwise, selects where all the associated files, supporting file for that particular program, go. It is not up to the user to select and or place these other files the program needs to actually work properly in any other place.

Some are placed in the OS system folders some in the User area folders, Your UserName folder, and others in the Applications folder in maybe a subfolder of the program folder, and for Windows in the Program Files folder, and or in the case OS X in a Mac OS X Package folder.

None of this is something any User should be fooling with and in most cases these other files are in system folders that are hidden from the user unless you have the option set to Show All Files and Folders including the normally hidden system files and folders.

There are hidden folders in your User Name folder.

• 7. Re: How should Lightroom 5.0 files/folders be organized in a Mac?
                    homeless05 Level 1

Thanks to everyone that attempted to answer my confusing question about where a Mac would "file" a downloaded update for RAW for a new camera. The long and the short is that if I want to do most of my editing in Lightroom 5 instead of Photoshop, I will have to change my camera's quality settings to take pictures in both RAW and JPEG. This will allow me to import them into LR.

• 8. Re: How should Lightroom 5.0 files/folders be organized in a Mac?

homeless05 wrote:

Thanks to everyone that attempted to answer my confusing question about where a Mac would "file" a downloaded update for RAW for a new camera. The long and the short is that if I want to do most of my editing in Lightroom 5 instead of Photoshop, I will have to change my camera's quality settings to take pictures in both RAW and JPEG. This will allow me to import them into LR.

Yes and No. You can use the Free Adobe DNG converter program to convert the proprietary RAW files from your new camera to DNG, Digital Nagative, files that will then import into your version of Lightroom.

Make sure you download and install the 9.5 version of the DNG converter. Copy your RAW images to a folder then run the DNG converter and point it at that folder. Once it finishes converting your RAW files to DNG you can then import them into the version of LR you are using.

Make sure you go through all the option in the DNG converter program before you run it on a folder.

• 9. Re: How should Lightroom 5.0 files/folders be organized in a Mac?
                        homeless05 Level 1

You are right about another option is to use the DNG converter. I should have mentioned that point.

Question on the converter, how do I in the setup, i.e., naming the file (s) retain the original photo # assigned by the camera? I don't see that among the long list of "naming" options?

• 10. Re: How should Lightroom 5.0 files/folders be organized in a Mac?
                          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

When using the DNG converter, your best bet is:

Copy the raw files from the card to your hard drive.

Rename the files as you want them.

Convert the raw files to DNG with no name change.

I use "downloader pro" by BreezeSys.com (Windows) to rename my files as it copies them from the card.

I also do a bunch of sorting and triage before they get imported into Lightroom.

• 11. Re: How should Lightroom 5.0 files/folders be organized in a Mac?

Never used the DNG converter to rename file and I never rename files. Every digital camera assigns a perfectly good name to the image when it is taken and saved to the memory card. Even if you are using 2 cameras of the same make you can setup the naming convention in the camera. I did that when I had 2 Leica M8s. One started with L1 the other started with L2.

• 12. Re: How should Lightroom 5.0 files/folders be organized in a Mac?
                              Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

homeless05 wrote:

You are right about another option is to use the DNG converter. I should have mentioned that point.

Question on the converter, how do I in the setup, i.e., naming the file (s) retain the original photo # assigned by the camera? I don't see that among the long list of "naming" options?

I can't vouch for the standalone converter but certainly in Lightroom renaming now retains the original file name

Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 2.58.57 PM.png

There are many valid reasons to rename or renumber files, most professionals do and of course DAM experts recommend to as well......