• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp generates corrupt .chm files to network folder, but not to local folder.

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Robohelp 10.  I have generated .chm files to the same network folder for over a year without problems.  Sometime around late March, this process did not work anymore.  When .chm files where generated to the local folder, they either opened as blank, with the side pane visible and the main content page blank, or with an error message:  Cannot open the file mk:@MSIT Store:\\example\example

As a workaround, I have been generating .chm files to a local folder.  The .chm files generate normally to the local folder and can be opened with no issues. When I copy and paste the files generated in the local folder to the shared network folder, they will also open correctly from the shared network folder.  My guess is that something is happening when Robohelp generates to the shared network folder that is actually corrupting the .chm file.

I tried created a dummy folder in the same enclosing folder as the shared network folder that lacks any symbols/numbers: TEST.  Generating to this folder also causes the same issue.

Other general notes: The shared network path is around 110 characters.  The only symbols used in this path are: ( ) !

The ! comes from the !SSL! folder.  Not sure if this would make a difference, as it was working previously with this path for about a year.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue or experienced a similar situation?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Microsoft took steps to make CHMs no longer function on networks several years ago! Folks were able to work around it by hacking the registry I believe. So I'm surprised to hear that this was working up until recently.

What you are describing about CHMs working just dandy as long as they were generated and opened locally is exactly the behavior I would expect.

Click here for more on the issue

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the response, Rick!  I'll try to look into this a bit further to see if changes were made to the registry in the first place to accommodate the network folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp