9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2016 8:54 AM by tomj33625849

Lost smart collections

tomj33625849

I was trying to export a photo collection onto my desktop on an iMac. It said the exportwas successful so I closed the programme.  The photos were not on the desktop and when I went back into lightroom all of my 'smart collections' have disappeared except one.  It has happened before but they magically reappeared after 5 minutes.  this time they have not...... any suggestions!?!?!

• 1. Re: Lost smart collections
          tomj33625849 Level 1

Ok so i have since been able to find the collection if i select the apple icon on the top right of the screen and select recent items.  if i click on the file that i have lost it opens up lightroom and the pictures reappear.  however the previous collection that i did still have has now gone

• 2. Re: Lost smart collections
            Alfred Pennyworth Level 4

Are you somehow opening a different catalog, smart collections do not just disappear!

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Lost smart collections
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Agree with Alfred. No images that are in a collection, smart or otherwise, or the collection itself is deleted or removed by Exporting the images that are in that collection.

Please explain in more detail what you are seeing and what you are doing in the export dialog. Posting screen shot will help.

• 4. Re: Lost smart collections
                tomj33625849 Level 1

ok so this is the screen i have at the minute

Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 15.50.38.png

in the collections column i had around 2000 photos. i then tried to export a certain collection not my desktop as shown in the image below

Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 15.52.19.png

when i selected export i went onto my desktop and the photos were not there.  i went back onto the program and they were not on the software either and the rest of my photos had gone except for the one listed as portballintrae.

• 5. Re: Lost smart collections
                  Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

What you seem to have done is to export 22 images as a catalog, and then you have opened that catalog.

If you intend to export images. you don't want to export as catalog, you have to select the images in Library and click Export at the bottom left of the screen. Exporting as catalog does not export the images.

To open your original catalog with the smart collection, go to File > Recent, where it will be listed.

Edit: Actually, it is possible to export negative files with the catalog export, but you probably wanted to export images only, in which case you'd want to use Export, not Export as catalog.

• 6. Re: Lost smart collections
                    tomj33625849 Level 1

OK so i am able to see three of my previous folders here. "lake district", "portballintrae" and "sarah &ross"Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 16.29.04.png

anytime i select one of these it closes lightroom down and restarts it up.  it removes the previous collection that i was looking at and replaces it with the one i selected. 

is there anyway of me getting back all of my collections back to the smart collection subfolder without having to go to recent items?

• 7. Re: Lost smart collections
                      dj_paige Level 9

In Lightroom (not your operating system) go to File->Open Recent and select each catalog there until you find the one with the smart collections.

• 8. Re: Lost smart collections
                        Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

You have to go to File > Recent in Lightroom, where you'll find your original catalog.

To better understand how Lightroom works, take a look at this article: Lightroom basics

• 9. Re: Lost smart collections
                          tomj33625849 Level 1

got it sorted guys,  thanks for the help, fantastic editing programme with huge amounts option but can really leave you scared at times!!