7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2016 5:45 PM by rob day

Color profile between indesign cc and cs6

prtamil Level 1

Hi All,

I am using indesign cc and cs6 in Windows 7 os based on customer requirement. When I change a color profile in indesign cs6 that will reflect in indesign cc and vice versa. Is there any way to keep them unique?

• 1. Re: Color profile between indesign cc and cs6
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When I change a color profile in indesign cs6 that will reflect in indesign cc and vice versa

No, even if you are running both versions of ID on the same system, the two applications can have different Color Settings setup. Also the profiles you choose as Color Settings' Working Spaces don't usually affect existing documents. Existing documents are color managed by their embedded profiles, the Color Settings' Working profiles are only used when a document has no profile assigned.

• 2. Re: Color profile between indesign cc and cs6
            Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

The only solution is to have multiple documents, each reflecting the color settings you want, but otherwise identical.

- Dov

• 3. Re: Color profile between indesign cc and cs6

I may have misunderstood the question. By unique profiles do you mean CMYK? If that's the case you could build the document with RGB or Lab colors and place tagged RGB files—the CMYK assignment wouldn't be used because there's no document CMYK color. You could then export the RGB/Lab only document to any CMYK space—one document multiple PDFs. Or export a single PDF with unchanged color and let the CMYK conversions happen at output—PDF/X-4.

• 4. Re: Color profile between indesign cc and cs6

The got'cha with this solution is that representing a pure CMYK black (or for that matter a pure C, M, or Y colorant) in any ICC RGB or Lab color space is fairly problematic, the biggest problem being undesired rich black / rich gray for printing.

PDF/X-4, I love!

- Dov

• 5. Re: Color profile between indesign cc and cs6

Right, but you could get around that by using CMYK  (or default [Black]) for black objects, have no CMYK document assignment, and use the Color Settings' CMYK Working space as the PDF/X-4 destination. In that case (with X-4) you always get a DeviceCMYK 100% black, whether you are forcing a CMYK conversion at export or leaving color unchanged.

Could be tricky in a group workflow, but trying to maintain duplicate docs with different profile assignments sounds way worse. The obvious problem with that is the appearance of same color values would be changing.

• 6. Re: Color profile between indesign cc and cs6

I think we are pretty much in agreement on these issues! The pure colorants are a boundary condition that can be special-cased. The problem is when people create content in (or convert content to) a particular CMYK color space and then want to play games. CMYK to C'M'Y'K' is a real pain, even is sophisticated device link profile technology.

- Dov

• 7. Re: Color profile between indesign cc and cs6

CMYK to C'M'Y'K' is a real pain, even is sophisticated device link profile technology.

Oh I forgot, of course there's Convert To Destination (Preserve Numbers), which would always protect native CMYK colors and [Black]. So my more difficult suggestion of no CMYK assignment and changing Color Settings isn't really necessary.