9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2017 2:54 AM by americaf21553710

How to import SVG into Ae

nmaxcom Level 1

I can't find a way to get SVG images into my composition. EPS is just drag and drop but SVG... I can't through any route.

I must be missing something.

• 1. Re: How to import SVG into Ae
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Type supported file types in the search help field or type SVG in the search help field at the top right corner of AE and you'll come up with this: Still image file formats

Best option is to open in Illustrator and save as an AI file. Some limited types of SVG may work but generally it is not a supported format for video.

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to import SVG into Ae
            nmaxcom Level 1

Wow. SVG not supported in 2016's Ae CC... Pretty crazy.

Thanks for the info though.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to import SVG into Ae

SVG for the most part is an HTML description of a graphic. It's not vectors, it's not pixels so it's not surprising to me that the AE team has not spent much time implementing that format while they are completely rewriting the rendering pipeline. I'd much rather have faster renders than SVG support at this time.

• 4. Re: How to import SVG into Ae
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

SVG not supported in 2016's Ae CC... Pretty crazy.

There's nothing crazy about it. SVG is an XML file type that does not contain persistent data, only descriptions of how to draw elements. AE simply has no such rendering engine nor do I see any need for it on a personal level, given how AE works in general.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: How to import SVG into Ae
                  nnnickk Level 1

But we are acknowledging here that the easy solution is to simply import the SVG into Illustrator, another adobe product, which is fully capable of handling the file type. Given that, I don't understand why an SVG can't be imported into AE directly.

• 6. Re: How to import SVG into Ae

If it's a feature request then start here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form - Adobe

• 7. Re: How to import SVG into Ae
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Given that, I don't understand why an SVG can't be imported into AE directly.

I'm sure someone has been considering it for 5 seconds, but quite frankly it probably doesn't make much sense. SVG is by its nature a complex format that can be so much more than just a bunch of vector shapes and ultimately that's wht most likely is the problem. SVGs can reference external data, have parametric definitions of entities, include scripts, support multiple color modes, contain mebedded pixel data. Getting this to open in any motion graphics app in a useful manner may not be as trivial as it sounds. While certainly there's room to create something that would open "plain" SVGs with just a single artboard and no fancies, a lot of the rest is asking for trouble and probably not worth the effort as long as everybody has a copy of Illustrator, which is assumed to be a given for CC customers...

Mylenium

• 8. Re: How to import SVG into Ae
                        Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Importing SVG to Ae would be nice. If you don't mind instead of an SVG, having a pixel PNG copy of your SVG - you can drag an SVG right into Ae's project/composition/timeline panels from the library's panel and have the PNG copy right on the fly. if you need it to be vector later, you could replace it with it's full power vector converted to .Ai version Which you will have to use illustrator for.

• 9. Re: How to import SVG into Ae
                          americaf21553710 Level 1

It appears that Rick Gerard does not have any SVG files he needs to import.