3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2016 5:04 PM by kendraloveee

HELP - need to adjust ONLY certain areas of photo?

kendraloveee

Hi guys! So I'm currently working on some panoramic images, and editing them in lightroom. In the black nadir is our logo (see below!), and I do NOT want to alter the coloring of the logo. However in each photograph, it's there! I'm needing to brighten the images and do adjustments such as reducing the yellow, however I don't want the logo affected. I don't think the adjustment brush will help me, because I want a full range of editing capabilities for the main image, and I just want to mask off the entire bottom so it's not affected at all. Is there a way I can edit ONLY the top portion of the image, with full range of editing?

panorama - sample-141018.jpg

• 1. Re: HELP - need to adjust ONLY certain areas of photo?
          Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

The only way to selectively edit an image in Lightroom is with the local adjustment tools, adjustment brush, gradient filter or radial filter. They are pretty good, but not nearly as good as using Photoshop. If this was my project I would use Photoshop to mask an edited version of the top part of the image, into a non edited version of the bottom portion.

• 2. Re: HELP - need to adjust ONLY certain areas of photo?
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

kendraloveee wrote:

I don't think the adjustment brush will help me, because I want a full range of editing capabilities for the main image, and I just want to mask off the entire bottom so it's not affected at all. Is there a way I can edit ONLY the top portion of the image, with full range of editing?

Probably a dozen ways to do this, but here's two using only the panorama output file with logo:

1) Not sure what you mean by "full range." What's missing in the Adjustment bush. You can paint in the upper image using Auto Mask and then go back over the area with Auto Mask turned off to fill in skipped areas.

2) You could also create a LR virtual copy and adjust the whole image, Edit in PS 'Open as Layers' both the original unedited and virtual copy with edits and then use PS's selection tools to select the logo, invert selection, and delete the upper image area.

• 3. Re: HELP - need to adjust ONLY certain areas of photo?
              kendraloveee Level 1

Yeah I'm thinking I might just have to edit in photoshop - I use lightroom for practically everything, and it's so convenient so I was hoping there was a way to make it work! Thank you for your suggestion!