1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 22, 2016 4:44 AM by Rick Gerard

Is it possible to put a video inside a rotolayer?

simpaj

Hey!

I'm pretty new to AE and I'm trying to do something similar to this: “Dye: She’s Bad” by Dent de Cuir - NOWNESS on Vimeo https://vimeo.com/98138072

Basically i wanna put a video inside a rotolayer. Is that possible? Or do i have to make a mask with the pen tool and then adjust it in every frame?

If anyone knows the easiest way to accomplish this, have any tips or know of some tutorials it would be very appreciated!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Is it possible to put a video inside a rotolayer?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have used rotobrush or any other tool to create transparency in a layer you can use that layer as a track matte or simply put another layer below the layer. IOW, if you Rotobrush or rotoscope by hand an actors arm you get the arm only on a layer. There is a switch in the Rotobrush effect to invert the mask so you would get a hole where the arm is. If you use the switch then just put another layer below the rotobrushed layer.

If you don't want to do that then put the layer that now contains only the arm on the top of the timeline, your replacement footage below the footage and another copy of the original footage on the bottom. Select the middle layer and choose Alpha Inverted from the Track Matte option in the Modes Column.

You can also use Chanel effects to set the matte layer and a bunch of other options.

If the part you cut out, the arm in this example, is moving then you may also need to track the arm and apply the tracking data to the layer you want to use to fill the hole.

I suggest that you type rotobrush and then track matte, then maybe even mask in the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE and check out the community resources. Adobe does a better job than Google of showing you tutorials and explanations from folks that know what they are talking about. About half or maybe even more of the tutorials you'll find on YouTube are by amateurs that are pointing you to inefficient techniques that won't help you in the long run. You've got to vet your training.