5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2016 9:33 AM by Szalam

How to Create a Half Circle

litlmike3

Hello, I am new to After Effects and have a seemingly simple problem.  I have a video and I need to put a half circle on top of the video.  How do I create a half circle in After Effects?  Or, is there a way to create a circle, but only allow half of it to be visible?  Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: How to Create a Half Circle
          squidkings Level 1

Nothing is ever simple in After Effects. There are many ways to do most everything, so to make a half circle two come to mind. So you as the artist must choose which is the best. First would to draw a full circle then mask half to leave your half circle. Second would be use the pen tool to draw a belzier curve in the shape of a half circle. Good Luck.

• 2. Re: How to Create a Half Circle
            Ivo Marinovic Level 1

You can draw circle and then select mask tool and draw rectangle over the circle to cut it as squidkings said.

You can also draw circle, and then in the same shape draw rectangle, take merge path and substract it.

You can draw it in Illustrator and then paste it into AE.

You can draw circle and then apply linear wipe effect to it.

etc etc...

• 3. Re: How to Create a Half Circle
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can do all kinds of things with Merge Paths in AE. It takes about 2 seconds. Draw Your shapes (keyboard shortcut q and press multiple times to cycle through the options) using the shape tools with no layers selected, arrange your shapes, Select either contents or the shape layer and then click the little add button and select Merge Paths. Spin down the Merge Paths options and select an option. The only disadvantage of doing this is that the Merged Paths will all have the same fill and stroke colors.

Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 9.04.01 AM.png

If you want to have multiple colors for your shapes you will have to use multiple layers and track mattes. This also just takes a few seconds.

• 4. Re: How to Create a Half Circle
                litlmike3 Level 1

So I will need two different colors.  Can you walk me through the steps a little bit more?  I am very new to After Effects and while I am used to layers in Photoshop, they seem to behave differently in AE depending on layering and selections.  Thank you for your help.

• 5. Re: How to Create a Half Circle
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're new to AE, you should start here. There's a whole series in there on shape layers (which are very different beasts), but you should start with the foundational basics first.