5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2017 12:22 PM by RYAN MCGARRY

CF licensing model

janets76048038

I recently spoke to an agent from technical support about CF licensing and he said he will connect me to someone from sales team but I never got a call back so I will try to get an answer here.

I don’t know which edition of CF I need to buy, standard or enterprise. I was informed licenses are issued on a Core basis. So if I’m using 2 VMs with 4 cores each, which edition do I need? And how many licenses? Can you send me a full description on how the licensing works? I can’t seem to find anything that helps on the website.

• 1. Re: CF licensing model
          Vikram_k1810 Adobe Employee

Hi Janet,

We have received your query and our licensing team will reach out to you shortly. In case of any further queries, please contact us @ cf.install@adobe.com.

Thanks,

Vikram

• 2. Re: CF licensing model
            Carl Von Stetten Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The End User License Agreements (EULAs) spell out the licensing terms.  Here are the ColdFusion 2016 EULA and the ColdFusion 2011 EULA documents.

For CF11, each Standard license is limited to a single VM with a maximum of 2 cores (section 3.1.2.1.c) or maximum of 5GHz of processing power (3.1.2.2.b) - so you would need a total of four (4) Standard licenses per your specs (the combined processing power of your virtualized hardware might give you some leeway).  Enterprise licensing for CF11 can be calculated a variety of ways - by physical CPU of all host servers (it's unclear how many CPUs are covered by a single Enterprise license), by individual VM (each Enterprise license can cover a single VM with up to eight cores, so you would need two (2) Enterprise licenses in this scenario), or by processing power (up to 16GHz per VM).

For CF2016 simplified (but maybe not to your advantage) physical/virtual server licensing by making it strictly based on cores.  CF2016 Standard covers a single physical/virtual server with up to two cores - so again, based on your specs, you would need a total of four Standard licenses.  CF2016 Enterprise covers a single physical/virtual server with up to eight cores - so you would need two Enterprise licenses (one for each VM).

Keep in mind that Enterprise also allows you to install multiple instances of ColdFusion on the same server. If your requirements permit, you could deploy a single 8-core VM and run two or more instances of ColdFusion on it, with only a single Enterprise license.

• 3. Re: CF licensing model
              janets76048038 Level 1

Thank you for your helpful answer. I need further clarification on "installing multiple instances of coldFusion":

So if I'm running multiple ColdFusion websites hosted by IIS on one VM, is that the same as creating multiple instances of ColdFusion?

• 4. Re: CF licensing model
                Carl Von Stetten Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No, not the same thing.  This should help explain it: ColdFusion Help | Using Multiple Server Instances

• 5. Re: CF licensing model
                  RYAN MCGARRY

Hi,

When you said this:

"Standard licenses per your specs (the combined processing power of your virtualized hardware might give you some leeway)."

What does that mean?  Does lowering the limits of the virtual hardware decrease the number of licenses you need?

Thanks,

Ryan