5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2016 5:07 PM by trshaner

Restore from a lrcat-journal file

Nadine VB

Hi,

For some strange reasons the vast majority of edits in one of my LR5 catalogs have disappeared and are not showing in the history panel, even though I exported the JPEGS about a month ago.  I thought I would try and restore a previous version of the Catalog saved in Backblaze, my could back-up provider, but for the date I want to go back to, I can only see a lcat-journal file and a lrcat.lock file, and not the actual lrcat file.  I'm afraid my knowledge of these file types is negligible.  Does the lrcat-journal file contain all the edits, and if so, can I apply that file to the current version of the catalog and see all the edits I have made?  If so, any instructions for how to do that would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Nadine

• 1. Re: Restore from a lrcat-journal file
          dj_paige Level 9

For some strange reasons the vast majority of edits in one of my LR5 catalogs have disappeared and are not showing in the history panel

It sounds to me like you accidentally opened a different catalog. Try using File->Open Recent, select each catalog shown there to see if one of them contains the edits you want.

There is no way I know of to restore anything from a lrcat-journal file. I would recommend that in the future, you should be making and saving weekly backups (or more frequently) using Lightroom's internal catalog backup feature. I save about 2 months worth of backups on my local drive.

• 2. Re: Restore from a lrcat-journal file
            Nadine VB Level 1

Thanks dj_paige...I did check all the recent catalogs to no avail.  I have a back up copy on an external drive but its the same issue, so whatever happened has been copied over and saved to the second copy too.

Shame about the lrcat-journal file.  I had hoped it would contain some data on the edits that could be applied to another copy of the lrcat 

Thanks for taking the time to respond though...looks like I will have to edit the whole wedding again!

• 3. Re: Restore from a lrcat-journal file
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Nadine VB wrote:

I thought I would try and restore a previous version of the Catalog saved in Backblaze, my could back-up provider, but for the date I want to go back to, I can only see a lcat-journal file and a lrcat.lock file, and not the actual lrcat file.

It sounds like the Backblaze backup was performed with LR open. The LR .lrcat Catalog file is a database file, which can NOT be copied when it is open in the application (i.e. LR). Another possibility is that your Backblaze Exclusions settings are preventing the file from being backed. If your LR catalog file is bigger than 4GB it will not be ZIP'd and not backed up with the below defaults settings. Big Lightroom Catalog? Make Sure Backblaze Is Backing It Up! | Lightroom Fanatic

• 4. Re: Restore from a lrcat-journal file
                Nadine VB Level 1

Thank you trshaner - while its not the outcome I was hoping for, you're spot on that there was an exclusion that was enabled in my Settings preventing anything over 50MB from being backed up, which explains why I can't find the lrcat file at all as it was 1GB in size.

If there is nothing useful I can do with the lrcat-journal file to restore the edits then it looks like I'm going to have to re-edit the whole wedding again but at least you made me aware of an issue I knew nothing about and could have saved me future heartache if the same initial issue I've experienced happens again, so thank you for that...I am most grateful.

Nadine

• 5. Re: Restore from a lrcat-journal file
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Nadine VB wrote:

Thank you trshaner - while its not the outcome I was hoping for, you're spot on that there was an exclusion that was enabled in my Settings preventing anything over 50MB from being backed up, which explains why I can't find the lrcat file at all as it was 1GB in size.

If there is nothing useful I can do with the lrcat-journal file to restore the edits then it looks like I'm going to have to re-edit the whole wedding again but at least you made me aware of an issue I knew nothing about and could have saved me future heartache if the same initial issue I've experienced happens again, so thank you for that...I am most grateful.

Nadine

Try searching your system drive for files with .lrcat extension using Finder or Explorer to see if a more current catalog file is somewhere on your local drive(s).

As suggested you should use LR's Backup facility and keep the copies on your system drive AND a local external backup drive. The LR Backup facility uses ZIP compression and creates a backup file that is ~1/6 the file size, so less backup space and upload time required. Online file backup is great as a "secondary" backup, but you should also keep a local backup of everything using file synchronization software.