12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2016 11:20 AM by TauTau_de

keep keywords synced between installations

TauTau_de

the following situation:

Lightroom installed on two PCs

images kept in sync by Sugar Sync (provides backup too)

When I edit keywords of images on one PC, what can I do that those changes also show up on the second PC? Images are mostly jpgs

• 1. Re: keep keywords synced between installations
          dj_paige Level 9

If the catalog file is on an external HD, you could move the external HD back and forth, assuring that the keywords are the same every time you open the catalog.

Other than that, people have gotten very creative using DropBox or similar web sharing services, you can search for information on how they do this. There are risks involved if you open the catalog on computer 2 before computer 1's version of the catalog has finished uploading from computer 1 and downloading to computer 2.

• 2. Re: keep keywords synced between installations
            Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi TauTau_de ,

Lightroom stores all the editing information in a catalog located in Pictures/Lightroom folder by default.

Lightroom cannot be synced in real time on two computer as the catalog needs to stored locally on each computer.So keeping the catalog and images in external drives is the best way around.

There are many threads where this has been discussed in great detail with other possibilities to sync catalog. Here are few:

Lightroom on two computers

Sync LR Catalog between 2 computers but not master files

Regards,

Akash

• 3. Re: keep keywords synced between installations
              TauTau_de Level 1

yep, I knew about that kind of solution, a shared catalogue. There's a reason though to sync with SugarSync, I have a automatic backup in the cloud, and I don't have the risk that I had with the dropbox solution. I don't want to carry the catalogue around, I just want that keywords show up, I have no idea where those are stored...

• 4. Re: keep keywords synced between installations
                TauTau_de Level 1

I checked one of the files with an online IPTC viewer (gbimg.org - GBO Imagehost and EXIF/IPTC-Viewer Online)) and the keywords are in the file. Guess I gotta take a closer look at the metadata stuff of lightroom, probably I just need to read them out manually (saving is possible automatically I think)

• 5. Re: keep keywords synced between installations
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

When you copy images from one computer to the other the keyword/s will follow as they are stored in the image. They should basically Show Up all on there own. But if that doesn't happen and you get a exclamation Mark in the image and click on that exclamation mark you get 3 options. Read From Disk, Overwrite settings on Disk and cancel. You should select Read from disk.

• 6. Re: keep keywords synced between installations
                    dj_paige Level 9

Just be aware that keywords are not written to the photo files by default in Lightroom.

Furthermore, the solution of writing keywords to the photos files and then having the "other" installation of Lightroom read the keywords from the file must be done manually, there is no way to automate the part where Lightroom reads the keywords. So, if the goal is synchronization of two different catalogs, this isn't really a synchronization in my mind, because if you forget to do it once, or do it wrong, you no longer have two catalogs synchronized.

• 7. Re: keep keywords synced between installations
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

TauTau_de wrote:

yep, I knew about that kind of solution, a shared catalogue. There's a reason though to sync with SugarSync, I have a automatic backup in the cloud, and I don't have the risk that I had with the dropbox solution.

IMHO relying on saving to metadata is very risky and an incomplete "sharing" solution. What "risk" did you encounter trying to sync the LR Catalog file on Dropbox?

• 8. Re: keep keywords synced between installations
                        TauTau_de Level 1

what was mentioned above:

"There are risks involved if you open the catalog on computer 2 before computer 1's version of the catalog has finished uploading from computer 1 and downloading to computer 2."

this would lead to a inconsitency that's imho harder to resolve than what I have right now. It's really only about keywords, the files themselves sync flawlessly for years the way I do now. I don't care if the "catalogue" is exactly the same, it's just the tedious work of keywording that's very important to me.

btw, I just tested it, and set metadata to write automatically on one computer, then on the other computer did a "sync folder" within Lightroom, and the keywords were there. The only risk with that method that I have is, that keywords aren't *shown*, but they are still there and I can always have them show up... nothing will be missing (keywording I do exclusively on one PC)

• 9. Re: keep keywords synced between installations

TauTau_de wrote:

what was mentioned above:

"There are risks involved if you open the catalog on computer 2 before computer 1's version of the catalog has finished uploading from computer 1 and downloading to computer 2."

That is correct, but the online Catalog update status can be confirmed and downloaded before opening LR on the 2nd computer.

Using only metadata written to the file or XMP sidecars prevents you from using Pick Flags, Virtual Copies, Collections, Stacks, and more.

What Is Not Included In Lightroom XMP Files | Lightroom Fanatic

This also means anytime a change is made on computer 1 to image files already uploaded you must re-upload theses files. You no longer have a non-destructive workflow. It's only practical if you never make changes to image files after they are uploaded and the person on computer 2 never makes any changes to the files that you need to see.

• 10. Re: keep keywords synced between installations
                            TauTau_de Level 1

it's well possible that I miss something with the practice I use here, but it fits well in my workflow... It's not actual photos I'm talking about here, but just my reference collection as a tattoo artist, so the keywords are my only and main use for this. and since I'm the only person working with the files, it's easy for me to keyword a folder at the shop, and then at home do a "sync folder". Since it's all jpgs, there's no XMP sidecar and all that. Maybe I'll rethink the process when I dig deeper into photography (just got me a used D7000 ), but I will probably use another catalogue and workflow then. And currently I would have to sync 5Gb to dropbox (the size of the catalogue), which makes me shudder a bit

• 11. Re: keep keywords synced between installations

TauTau_de wrote:

And currently I would have to sync 5Gb to dropbox (the size of the catalogue), which makes me shudder a bit

That is a very large Catalog file! How many image files do you have imported into LR? In the Library module left side 'Catalog panel what is the number next to 'All Photographs?" I have 30,000 image files in my LR Catalog and the Lightroom CC Catalog.lrcat file is 1.5GB. I also suggest using a LR Catalog Backup for your online Catalog Sync. The backup file is ZIP'd, which significantly reduces the file size. My 1.5GB LR Catalog backup is only 233MB, or about a 1:6 compression ratio! There's no need to sync the Previews.lrdata folder, since they can be built on the 2nd system.

• 12. Re: keep keywords synced between installations
                                TauTau_de Level 1

just checked on the laptop, it's 72k images. On my home PC it's more, since there's the private collection also (another reason I don't want to catalogue sync, no need for that on my travel laptop). Additionally to the backup that the cloud sync proveides, I also have each computer run the LR backup somewhere else