3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2016 11:06 PM by Willi Adelberger

Paragraph marks at top of column - how to banish?

kjvh

Arg.

Long directory listing... paragraph marks between sections and new entries for spacing...

But how do I tell InDesign that I don't want it to start a column with an empty (space-creating) paragraph mark?

Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 7.07.49 PM.png

I'm punch-drunk tired, so maybe it's obvious and I've simply forgotten how to tie my car keys.

• 1. Re: Paragraph marks at top of column - how to banish?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Use Space after of Space Before as part of one of the paragraph styles to create the space instead of an empty paragraph.

• 2. Re: Paragraph marks at top of column - how to banish?
            BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

And to get ready for the Space Before/After, you can easily remove the existing spaces with a Find/Change command:

InDesign CCss_031.png

• 3. Re: Paragraph marks at top of column - how to banish?
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I would recommend to work with spaces before and after and to set up several paragraph styles to make your text easy formatted:

1. Create an own basic Paragraph style, without space before and after, but with your font in size and family. (Don't use the given in brackets.)
              2. For the use in the screen shot make another one based on this and change the keep options in the Paragraph Style to keep with previous, to avoid orphaned text in the new column.
              3. Create another Paragraph Style based on the one in step 1. Change the spacing to a Space Before according to your design. (If it should be the same as an empty line, insert the leading in point in the field space before. It will recalculate to inch or mm.
              4. Create another Paragraph Style based on the one in step 3. Change the font style to a bold one and change the keeping options to keep with the next 2 lines to avoid headlines at the end of the column.
              5. Apply these paragraph styles by holding the ALT-key to remove manual overrides
              6. Remove empty space with Find & Replace, in the Query choose Multiple Return to Single Return.

It is important to be aware that multiple spaces or multiple returns cause always problems and additional work at the end.

Setting up Paragraph Styles is a huge time saver. Without Styles you would have to format each paragraph manually which costs way more work to do it and allows you to perform global changes in your document.

Avoid also forced Line Breaks in your text.

For the main headlines, like Alaska, you will have to create another Paragraph Style with an additional space after.