7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2016 9:18 AM by ssprengel

Opening purchased free standing version of Lightroom 6

david020367

I purchased a free standing version of Lightroom 6 and have been using it until this evening.  When I attempted to open it, a license agreement came up instead for the creative cloud.  My choice was to accept or quit.  Cannot use the Lightroom 6 I purchased.  I have not requested or desire to purchase the year subscription for the creative cloud.  Solution?

• 1. Re: Opening purchased free standing version of Lightroom 6
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have never seen the installation disk for Lightroom 6. But I do know that Lightroom 6 and Lightroom CC (the creative cloud version) are precisely the same program. Depending on whether the new license it as Lightroom 6 or Lightroom CC, that will determine whether or not you have all the features or just the features of Lightroom 6. In that installation package there should be a serial number, six groups of four numbers, the first four numbers being 1160. There should also be instructions on how to install as Lightroom 6. You can use the same installer for either "version".

• 2. Re: Opening purchased free standing version of Lightroom 6
            Braddahbill

I purchased the standalone version of Lightroom 5 and after installing it I had to log on to the Adobe site and SIGN UP for a Creative account. I also updated to Lightroom 6 (standalone) and Photoshop CS6 (standalone). I pretty sure that even if you buy the standalone versions you need to sign up for a Creative Cloud Free account.

• 3. Re: Opening purchased free standing version of Lightroom 6
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Purchasing LR 6 and licensing your locally installed copy are two distinct things.

You say you purchased LR 6.  What you purchase is a serial number.  Did you ever enter in the serial number to license LR 6 standalone or have you been running a LR CC trial for 30 days which just expired?  Even when you do license LR 6 with a serial number you'll have to login with an Adobe ID to associate the serial number to so Adobe can keep track of how many installs that serial number is used for.

And if the LR 6 licensing information is ever corrupted, LR 6 will revert to a LR CC trial that'll probably be expired.  You'll need to enter in the serial number, again, to relicense it.

Since it's not clear from your initial description if you ever licensed LR on your computer it's hard to guess what you're being asked to login with an AdobeID.

• 4. Re: Opening purchased free standing version of Lightroom 6
                david020367 Level 1

I have registered LR 6 in August of 2015 and have been using it until yesterday.  There is a serial no. in my account.  I finally got the free standing LR 6 to work, but the last pictures I worked on are only saved in LR 5?  Go figure.

• 5. Re: Opening purchased free standing version of Lightroom 6
                  david020367 Level 1

LR 6 stand alone was installed from online and not a disc.  It does not have all the features of the CC version, but also does not cost $199 a year.  I have a serial number.  Not sure what adobe is up to.  Since you cannot talk to anyone on the phone, it make it difficult.  Poor product support.  I finally figured out a way to get LR 6 open.  Hope it continues to work.

• 6. Re: Opening purchased free standing version of Lightroom 6

Did you accidentally open and convert your old LR 5 catalog, then?   You should find your more recent LR 6 catalog, and open that.  Off of LR's File menu there is a Open Recent that should show you where the latest LR 6 catalog is.

Did whatever you did to get LR 6 to work include deleting the LR 6 catalog or remove LR 6's records of what recent catalogs it has opened?  That could cause you to open LR 5's catalog instead of LR 6 knowing where it's current catalog is.

• 7. Re: Opening purchased free standing version of Lightroom 6

In the US, the CC Photography subscription, that includes both LR CC and PS CC is $120/year, or $10/month.

LR 6 and LR CC both require you to be logged in with your AdobeID, to verify you haven't installed and licensed more than the 2 times you're allowed.