2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2016 6:44 PM by MFHIMYM

Error message "an output module failed. The file may be damaged or corrupted" when I try and export to external hard drive.

MFHIMYM

When I export onto my local hard drive on my macbook everything works smoothly; however, due to storage problems I have to use my external hard drive. I haven't been able to export it successfully yet as whenever I try exporting onto the hard drive i get the error message: an output module failed. The file may be damaged or corrupted" when I try and export to external hard drive. My hard drive has more than enough memory so that doesn't seem to be the problem. My hard drive is formatted to Fat32.

Thanks!

Im new to after effects so I don't really know what other specs to list.

• 1. Re: Error message "an output module failed. The file may be damaged or corrupted" when I try and export to external hard drive.
          chrisw44157881 Level 4

top 2 hits imho.

1. fat32 only holds up to 4GB per file

2. AVG installed? linkscanner/online shield turned on?

------------------

here's my bam list for output module failed.

1.Disable Multiprocessing

2 update Adobe updates

3.your footage may have video/audio errors. Can you render to png image sequence? Or

transcode in handbrake first

4. Use Adobe Media Encoder-instead of using the built-in After Effects Render Queue

5. Edit > Purge > All Memory & Disk Cache

6. Manually Purge Disk Cache-Preferences > Media & Disk Cache,” where its location is

displayed. Open this folder and ensure its contents are deleted.

7. Run (applications- utilities- console) crash report

8. reelsmart motion blur(precomp first)

9. VC Reflect(collapsed layers) from Video Copilot

10. any scripts/missing fonts

11. The 'Secret' preference purge every 5 frames

12. Remove file "AVI Importer.component" in /Library/QuickTime.

13. After effects did not have permissions to a system folder

14. Download "AppCleaner" - delete quicktime

15. file-save as something else.

16. are you rendering cuda? raytrace cpu /gpu

17. try disabling AVG's linkscanner and online shield because they block adobe for some reason. you can also try adding exclusion lists.

18. adobe media encoder gpu on?

19. fat32 can only hold up to 4GB per file

• 2. Re: Error message "an output module failed. The file may be damaged or corrupted" when I try and export to external hard drive.
            MFHIMYM Level 1

Yeah its the 4GB max size thing, thats the problem. I tried rendering it under a different codec and it produced a smaller file size (under 4GB) that worked!

Thanks!