3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2016 7:05 AM by Rick Gerard

Can we render an adjustment layer separately from aftereffects?

payalk

I want to render out my adjustment layer separately. It has basic color correction effects/ black and white color effects etc.

Is it possible to only render that layer out?

• 1. Re: Can we render an adjustment layer separately from aftereffects?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

And what would that achieve? An adjustment layer is merely an auxiliary construct that provides something to apply effects. In itself it has no processing powers whatsoever. Outside of AE pixels are just pixels, regardless of how they were created. You completely misunderstand how this works. You just cannot render an adjustment and hope it would do magic just by overlaying some video with it.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Can we render an adjustment layer separately from aftereffects?
            Gutter-Fish Level 4

It sounds like you're wanting to do something akin rendering out "passes".

But passes need to be composited in a program like....mmm, IDK....After Effects?

Why would you render out an adjustment layer just to have bring it back into after effects and use it as an adjustment layer?

Maybe explain what you are hoping to achieve by rendering it out separately and someone can tell you a better way to do it.

• 3. Re: Can we render an adjustment layer separately from aftereffects?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can turn an adjustment layer into an animation preset that you can apply to any project. The problem with color correction is that every shot needs different settings so you will still need to do some tweaking.

In the simplest terms the way to create an animation preset for an adjustment layer or any layer is to select the layer in the timeline, press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties of the layer. This will show you everything that has been modified in that layer including keyframes.

Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 6.50.51 AM.png

This is a preset that I have created to help create high contrast images to be used as luma mattes. I have added sliders that control levels and I want everything to be included. If I wanted only the Offset White to be saved as part of the preset I would just select it. Since I want all of the effects to be saved as part of the preset I select just the Effects like this:

Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 6.57.45 AM.png

Then all you have to do is go to Animation>Save Animation Preset from the Menu.

Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 6.52.04 AM.png

Save it to your default User Preset folder and you'll have it to apply any time and it will show up in the Effects and Presets panel every time you open AE.

If you work on a bunch of machines and you want all of your presets to sync you'll have to use something like DropBox and create an animation presets folder there. Then you create an alias and put it in your default user presets folder and you now have access to all of your animations presets no matter where you go. I have created about 250 of them over the years. Any time I set up a bunch of effects or animations that I think I might want to repeat I save an animation preset.

To learn more about animation presets and how to create and use Animation Presets type "create animation preset" in the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE and check out the tutorials and help files on the subject.

1 person found this helpful